1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of F=ma from second law of newton

1. Feb 16, 2010 #1
    from the second law of newton we know... applied force is proportional to the change of momentum...that means F= k( mv-mu) where k is constant .....from here now proof F=ma

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2010 #2
    The second law doesn't say that. Look at it again.
    You need to start with the correct equation before you can prove F=ma

4. Feb 16, 2010 #3
    I think i can help you, but with my own labelling ;)

[tex]F \sim m \cdot \frac{v^\prime - v}{\delta t}[/tex]​

[tex]v^\prime[/tex] is the speed after a short time interval [tex]\delta t[/tex] related to the instant of time [tex]t[/tex]. So the equation above can be written in a more descriptive way

[tex]\delta t \, F \sim m \cdot \Bigl( v(t+\delta t) - v(t) \Bigr)[/tex]​

if the time interval [tex]\delta t[/tex] is very small, we can approximate [tex]v(t+\delta t)[/tex] according to Taylor (keyword Taylor expansion).

[tex]v^\prime = v(t + \delta t) \approx v(t) + \dot v(t) \, \cdot \, \delta t + \mathcal{O}\bigl((\delta t)^2 \bigr)[/tex]​

putting it in the initial equation that yields

[tex]\delta t \, F \sim m \cdot \Bigl( ~ \bigl( v(t) + \dot v(t) \, \cdot \, \delta t \bigr) ~ - v(t) \bigr) = m \, \cdot \, \dot v(t) \, \delta t [/tex]​

Here you see, that the time interval [tex]\delta t[/tex] must be very small, otherwise the first term of the Taylor series isn't a good approximation any longer.

Hope that i could help you...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook