Proof of mapping to and from null set

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a function and its properties, specifically the existence of a function from the empty set to any set Y. It is determined that the empty set can be considered a function, known as the empty function, and it is unique in its existence.
Gale

Homework Statement

Using the precise denition of a function and a little logic, show that, for every set [itex]Y[/itex] , there is exactly one function [itex]f [/itex] from [itex] \emptyset [/itex] to [itex]Y[/itex] . When is [itex]f[/itex] injective? Surjective?

Let [itex] X[/itex] be a set. Show that there are either no functions from [itex]X[/itex] to [itex] \emptyset [/itex]
or exactly one such function, depending on whether [itex] X \neq \emptyset [/itex] or [itex] X= \emptyset [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far all I can think of is that the definition of a function I think is: [tex] f:X \rightarrow Y, f=\{(x,f(x)), such\ that\ \forall x \in X, \ \exists ! y\in Y : f(x)=y \}[/tex]

Or something like that. I'm having a hard time trying to write a proper definition of a function, especially because I'm fairly sure my teacher wants something to do with ordered pairs, (as that's how functions are graphed and he mentioned in class that functions should be defined by their graphs...)

Anyway, regarding the null set: All I can think is that the null set is also a subset of Y, and therefore the one function that maps from the null set, is the one that also maps to the null set? And that the function is surjective and injective only when [itex] Y= \emptyset [/itex]. But then I'm very confused about how you can map a non-elements to non-elements, so perhaps I'm wrong, in which case, I have no idea where to go with this problem.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a little challenging to chase these definitions around. But a function is a set of ordered pairs. An empty set of ordered pairs is technically a function. When does that work?

Dick said:
It is a little challenging to chase these definitions around. But a function is a set of ordered pairs.

Okay, so far I follow.

An empty set of ordered pairs is technically a function. When does that work?

And then... What?? An empty set of ordered pairs is still just an empty set, right? So the null set is a function? I'm sorry. I don't understand.

Gale said:

Homework Statement

Using the precise denition of a function and a little logic, show that, for every set [itex]Y[/itex] , there is exactly one function [itex]f [/itex] from [itex] \emptyset [/itex] to [itex]Y[/itex] . When is [itex]f[/itex] injective? Surjective?

Let [itex] X[/itex] be a set. Show that there are either no functions from [itex]X[/itex] to [itex] \emptyset [/itex]
or exactly one such function, depending on whether [itex] X \neq \emptyset [/itex] or [itex] X= \emptyset [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far all I can think of is that the definition of a function I think is: [tex] f:X \rightarrow Y, f=\{(x,f(x)), such\ that\ \forall x \in X, \ \exists ! y\in Y : f(x)=y \}[/tex]
Yes, that's a perfectly valid definition. It is a symbolic way of saying that a function is a set of ordered pair such that no two distinct pairs have the same first member. Recall that "[itex]\forall x \in X[/itex]" can also be interpreted as "if [itex]x\in X[/itex]". And what do you know about propositions of the for "if A then B" when B is false? What if A is false?

Or something like that. I'm having a hard time trying to write a proper definition of a function, especially because I'm fairly sure my teacher wants something to do with ordered pairs, (as that's how functions are graphed and he mentioned in class that functions should be defined by their graphs...)

Anyway, regarding the null set: All I can think is that the null set is also a subset of Y, and therefore the one function that maps from the null set, is the one that also maps to the null set? And that the function is surjective and injective only when [itex] Y= \emptyset [/itex]. But then I'm very confused about how you can map a non-elements to non-elements, so perhaps I'm wrong, in which case, I have no idea where to go with this problem.

Thanks for any help!

Gale said:
Okay, so far I follow.

And then... What?? An empty set of ordered pairs is still just an empty set, right? So the null set is a function? I'm sorry. I don't understand.

Yes. It's called the empty function. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_function

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, that's a perfectly valid definition. It is a symbolic way of saying that a function is a set of ordered pair such that no two distinct pairs have the same first member. Recall that "[itex]\forall x \in X[/itex]" can also be interpreted as "if [itex]x\in X[/itex]". And what do you know about propositions of the for "if A then B" when B is false? What if A is false?

Hmm... Okay. So I read the wiki, and then googled the empty function, but I'm still conceptually struggling a little... I have:

[tex] f:X \to Y, f=\{(x,f(x)), such\ that\ \forall x \in X, \ \exists ! y\in Y : f(x)=y \}[/tex] thus for all functions [tex] f \subseteq X \times Y : (x_1, y_1)= (x_1, y_2) \Leftrightarrow y_1=y_2 [/tex] So, let [itex] \ X=\emptyset , f:\emptyset \to Y [/itex] then [itex] (x_1, y_1) = (x_1, y_2), y_1\neq y_2[/itex] never occurs because there are no [itex] x \in \emptyset[/itex]. Therefore [itex] f:\emptyset \to Y[/itex] satisfies the definition of a function.

Does that work? Then I would argue there is only one such function because from the definition of a function:
[itex] \ f \subseteq X \times Y. [/itex] Then, when [itex] \ X=\emptyset \ then\ f \subseteq \emptyset \times Y = \emptyset [/itex] thus f is unique?

I think I'm close, but I'm not sure if my logic is totally sound. Also, I'm still getting used to using various symbols and terminology, so correct me if I've made any mistakes. Thanks again!

Gale said:
Hmm... Okay. So I read the wiki, and then googled the empty function, but I'm still conceptually struggling a little... I have:

[tex] f:X \to Y, f=\{(x,f(x)), such\ that\ \forall x \in X, \ \exists ! y\in Y : f(x)=y \}[/tex]
Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but your definition looks messed up to me. f is a subset of XxY, right? So f(x) necessarily has to be an element of Y. Yet your definition is saying that f(x) is not an element in Y for all possible values of x.

thus for all functions [tex] f \subseteq X \times Y : (x_1, y_1)= (x_1, y_2) \Leftrightarrow y_1=y_2 [/tex] So, let [itex] \ X=\emptyset , f:\emptyset \to Y [/itex] then [itex] (x_1, y_1) = (x_1, y_2), y_1\neq y_2[/itex] never occurs because there are no [itex] x \in \emptyset[/itex]. Therefore [itex] f:\emptyset \to Y[/itex] satisfies the definition of a function.
Yes, this is right. The definition of a function is satisfied vacuously.

Does that work? Then I would argue there is only one such function because from the definition of a function:
[itex] \ f \subseteq X \times Y. [/itex] Then, when [itex] \ X=\emptyset \ then\ f \subseteq \emptyset \times Y = \emptyset [/itex] thus f is unique?
Yeah, this looks good, though you might want to wait for a mathematician to chime in.

I think I'm close, but I'm not sure if my logic is totally sound. Also, I'm still getting used to using various symbols and terminology, so correct me if I've made any mistakes. Thanks again!

vela said:
Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but your definition looks messed up to me. f is a subset of XxY, right? So f(x) necessarily has to be an element of Y. Yet your definition is saying that f(x) is not an element in Y for all possible values of x.Yes, this is right. The definition of a function is satisfied vacuously.Yeah, this looks good, though you might want to wait for a mathematician to chime in.

I think [itex]\exists ! y[/itex] is supposed to mean, 'there exists a unique y'. And it looks pretty good to me too.

Ah, I've never seen that notation.

Yeah, sorry. The ! meant unique. My teacher uses it, so I did as well.

Also, regarding when the function is surjective or injective. I believe it is only surjective when Y is also the empty set, because then there is nothing in Y to map to, thus technically each element of Y IS mapped to. Same for injective, because no element will ever be mapped to more than once. However, now I'm confused as to whether the function is bijective? (which isn't part of the question but now I'm not sure...)

And for the second part, I said that because there is no [itex] y \in \emptyset[/itex] then the definition of a function, [itex] f=\{(x,f(x)), such\ that\ \forall x \in X, \ \exists ! y\in Y : f(x)=y \} [/itex] cannot hold, because no y's exist. Unless X is also the null set, in which case, the above argument holds.

Last edited:
I think you got that right. A function from the empty set to the empty set is bijective. Why not? And if f:X->Y and X is nonempty and Y empty is then there are no functions. It all seems ok to me.

1. What is "Proof of mapping to and from null set"?

Proof of mapping to and from null set is a concept in set theory that involves proving the existence of a function or mapping between a set and the null set. This means showing that every element in the set is mapped to an element in the null set, and vice versa.

2. Why is "Proof of mapping to and from null set" important in mathematics?

Proof of mapping to and from null set is important because it helps to establish the relationship between different sets and their elements. It also allows us to understand the properties and structure of sets, which is crucial in various branches of mathematics such as algebra, analysis, and topology.

3. How is "Proof of mapping to and from null set" different from other types of proofs?

Proof of mapping to and from null set is different from other types of proofs because it focuses specifically on the relationship between a set and the null set. Other types of proofs may involve proving the existence of a function or mapping between two different sets, or showing the properties of a particular set.

4. What are some common techniques used in "Proof of mapping to and from null set"?

Some common techniques used in proof of mapping to and from null set include direct proof, contradiction, and mathematical induction. These techniques involve logical reasoning and use of mathematical concepts to establish the mapping between the set and the null set.

5. Can "Proof of mapping to and from null set" be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, proof of mapping to and from null set can be applied to real-world problems, especially in computer science and data analysis. For example, in data mining, we can use this concept to establish the relationship between different data sets and identify patterns or correlations between them.