Can Baker-Hausdorff lemma be used to prove this operator relation?

In summary, the problem is that when trying to use the Baker-Hausdorff lemma to prove the first equation, there is a problem with higher powers of \hat{j_{k}}.
Ene Dene
I'm having a problem proving this operator relation:

[tex]exp(-i\phi\hat{j_{i}})exp(i\theta\hat{j_{k}})exp(i\phi\hat{j_{i}})=exp(i\theta(cos(\phi)\hat{j_{k}}+sin(\phi)\hat{j_{l}})[/tex] (1)

where

[tex][\hat{j_{i}}, \hat{j_{k}}]=i\epsilon_{ikl}\hat{j_{l}}[/tex]. (2)

I can prove this for:

[tex]exp(-i\phi\hat{j_{i}})\hat{j_{k}}exp(i\phi\hat{j_{i}})=cos(\phi)\hat{j_{k}}+sin(\phi)\hat{j_{l}}[/tex] (3)

using Baker-Hausdorff lemma.

Now what I do when I'm trying to prove the first expresion, I expand the middle term in Taylor series, and then trying to use this lemma again, but problem arisses with higher powers of [tex]\hat{j_{k}}[/tex].

[tex]exp(-i\phi\hat{j_{i}})(1+i\theta\hat{j_{k}}+\frac{(i\theta\hat{j_{k}})^2}{2!}+\frac{(i\theta\hat{j_{k}})^3}{3!}+...)exp(i\phi\hat{j_{i}})[/tex]

The first term:

[tex]exp(-i\phi\hat{j_{i}})exp(i\phi\hat{j_{i}})=1[/tex]

Second term (what I was able to prove (3)):

[tex]i\theta(exp(-i\phi\hat{j_{i}}))\hat{j_{k}}exp(i\phi\hat{j_{i}})=i\theta(cos(\phi)\hat{j_{k}}+sin(\phi)\hat{j_{l}})[/tex]

And now a problem arisses:

[tex]\frac{(i\theta)^nexp(-i\phi\hat{j_{i}})(\hat{j_{k}})^nexp(i\phi\hat{j_{i}})}{n!}[/tex]

If (1) is true than it should be:

[tex](i\theta)^nexp(-i\phi\hat{j_{i}})(\hat{j_{k}})^nexp(i\phi\hat{j_{i}})/n!=\frac{(i\theta(cos(\phi)\hat{j_{k}}+sin(\phi)\hat{j_{l}}))^n}{n!}[/tex]

becoase

[tex]exp(i\theta(cos(\phi)\hat{j_{k}}+sin(\phi)\hat{j_{l}})=1+(cos(\phi)\hat{j_{k}}+sin(\phi)\hat{j_{l}})+\frac{(i\theta(cos(\phi)\hat{j_{k}}+sin(\phi)\hat{j_{l}}))^2}{2!}+...[/tex]

but, I can't prove this. Using Baker-Hausdorff lemma for each term becomes too complicated and I get lose in all that mess.

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens when you square equation 3?

Hurkyl said:
What happens when you square equation 3?
Nooo, it can't bee :).
I spent all night trying to solve this in most complicated ways and I didn't saw this...

Thank you very much!

1. What is "Proof of operator relation"?

"Proof of operator relation" is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the relationship between operators, which are mathematical objects that act on quantum states. It involves using mathematical tools and techniques to show how two or more operators are related to each other.

2. Why is "Proof of operator relation" important?

Understanding the relationship between operators is crucial in quantum mechanics as it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems. It also helps us to better understand the underlying mathematical structure of quantum mechanics.

3. How is "Proof of operator relation" different from "Proof of operator equality"?

"Proof of operator relation" involves showing the relationship between two or more operators, while "Proof of operator equality" involves showing that two operators are exactly the same. In other words, "Proof of operator equality" is a special case of "Proof of operator relation".

4. What are some common techniques used in "Proof of operator relation"?

Some common techniques used in "Proof of operator relation" include using commutators, eigenvalue equations, and matrix manipulations. These techniques involve using the properties of operators and the mathematical rules of quantum mechanics to establish the relationship between them.

5. Can "Proof of operator relation" be used in other fields of science?

Yes, the concept of "Proof of operator relation" can be applied to other fields of science, such as classical mechanics and statistical mechanics. It is a powerful tool for understanding the relationships between mathematical objects and can be used to make predictions and solve problems in various scientific disciplines.