Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of the Riemann Hypothesis

1. Jun 5, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

... we may have proved the Riemann Hypothesis...​
    I confess if they aren't even convinced, I find it hard to be optimistic.
  4. Jun 5, 2008 #3
    Crackpots don't doubt themselves, so this guy passes the crackpot test.
  5. Jun 6, 2008 #4
    I wish I could understand it better even with many years of college math and wikipedia
  6. Jun 6, 2008 #5
    perhaps he tries to be humble... the positivity 'test' of the double integral given by Polya seems correct , perhaps an expert of number theory should take a look at this paper
  7. Jun 6, 2008 #6
    Did Wiles also pass the Crackpot test when he announced he found the proof of Fermat's theorem, only to discover later that there was a fatal flaw in it [which he was able to fix later at the very moment when he was taking a final look to understand better why he had faled and why he would not be able to succeed (making it easier to put the matter to rest in his mind)].

Or does the Crackpot test itself pass the Crackpot test :rofl:
  8. Jun 6, 2008 #7
    you pass the crackpot test but fail the reading comprehension test. to pass the crackpot test is to not be a crackpot. you passed since you have doubts.
  9. Jun 6, 2008 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suppose this is a catch-22, for if they were convinced, I'd generally be even less optimistic. :smile:
  10. Jun 6, 2008 #9
    When asked "what if" his general theory of relativity had been disproven by experiment, Albert Einstein replied: "Then I would feel sorry for the good Lord. The theory is correct."

Sounds pretty self-assured to me, but he was no crackpot.
  11. Jul 2, 2008 #10
  12. Jul 2, 2008 #11
    Good lord, that's a hell'a'va proof he has there. I wish I understood the half of it (I barely understand the zeta function by itself...) What do you fella's make of it?
  13. Jul 3, 2008 #12

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Just a gut feeling that none of them are even close. Of course I know nothing either.
  14. Jul 3, 2008 #13
  15. Jul 3, 2008 #14
    Well, far be it for us to question a Fields medalist.

EDIT: Ok I applaud the effort of this auto-keyword-link thing, but this has gone too far!
  16. Jul 3, 2008 #15

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Heh, yeah. Maybe we can have a list of stop-phrases?
  17. Jul 6, 2008 #16
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?