Proof of Equality: Summation & 2^n

• Thread starter twoflower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the binomial expansion of (1 + 1)^n gives the following: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100.
twoflower
Hi all,

I don't know how to prove this equality:
[tex]
\sum_{k=0}^n \left(\begin{array}{cc}n\\k \end{array}\right) = 2^n
[/tex]

I tried it many times, but never achieved the result. I used induction to do the proof, but no success.

Would somebody help please?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just the binomial expansion of [itex](1 + 1)^n[/itex]

Ok, that's something I already know, but I need to prove it using some properties of combination numbers, eg.

[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
0\\
0\end{array}
\right) = 1[/tex]

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}n\\k\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{cc}n\\k+1\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}n+1\\k+1\end{array}\right)
[/tex]

Let A be a set with n elements. How many elements does the powerset of A have?

Muzza said:
Let A be a set with n elements. How many elements does the powerset of A have?
I can't imagine the "powerset of A"...

The powerset of A is the set of all subsets of A.

E.g., let A = {1,2}. Then the powerset of A = { {}, {1}, {2}, {1,2} }.

If one could count the cardinality of the powerset of A in two different ways, one would immediately know that the resulting numbers would be equal...

Ok, now I know what you mean with "powerset", my translator gave me completely different meaning...Yes I know that it is 2^n, but...I need to prove it with induction...

Hint:
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n+1} {n+1 \choose k}=\sum_{k=0}^{n}{n+1 \choose k}+{n+1 \choose n+1}=\sum_{k=0}^{n}{n+1 \choose k}+1[/tex]

You want to manipulate your expression in such a way so you can use your induction hypothesis:

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n}{n \choose k}=2^n[/tex]
and the identity:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}n\\k\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{cc}n\\k+1\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}n+1\\k+1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Last edited:
Thank you Galileo, I've already achieved this point, but I'm not able to edit it further...

Well, you have:
[tex]{n \choose k} + {n \choose k+1} = {n+1 \choose k+1}[/tex]

and
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n}{n+1 \choose k}[/tex]
in the expression so we can almost put it together.
Why not sum over
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n}{n+1 \choose k+1}[/tex]
it's almost the same as the previous sum. You are missing a term (which you'll have to add) and it gives an extra term (which you'll have to subtract).
Then you can apply the identity.

However I tried to use the equality, I only get to this point:

[tex]
\sum_{k=0}^{n}{n \choose k-1} - \sum_{k=0}^{n}{n \choose k+1} + 1 = 0
[/tex]

which I'm not able to go on with...

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n}{n+1 \choose k+1}=\sum_{k=0}^{n}{n \choose k}+\sum_{k=0}^{n}{n \choose k+1}[/tex]
This is obtained by simply using that identity.
Now
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n}{n \choose k}=2^n[/tex]
according to our induction hypothesis.

By the way:[itex]{n \choose k}=0[/itex] if k>n.

1. What is "Proof of Equality" in mathematics?

"Proof of Equality" is a concept in mathematics that involves showing that two expressions or quantities are equal through logical reasoning and mathematical operations.

2. How is summation used in "Proof of Equality"?

In "Proof of Equality", summation is often used to show that two expressions are equal by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts and then combining those parts to show that they are equal.

3. What is the significance of 2^n in "Proof of Equality"?

2^n, where n is a positive integer, is often used as a representation of a power of 2 in "Proof of Equality". This can be useful when proving that two expressions are equal because it allows for the use of mathematical properties and identities related to powers of 2.

4. Are there any limitations to using "Proof of Equality" with summation and 2^n?

While "Proof of Equality" using summation and 2^n can be a powerful tool in mathematics, it may not be applicable or effective in all situations. It is important to carefully consider the problem at hand and determine if this method is the most appropriate approach.

5. Can "Proof of Equality" be used in other areas of science?

Yes, "Proof of Equality" can be used in various areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics that can be applied to many different fields to show the equality of two quantities or expressions.