1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foundations Proof of x^2n beeing even and other fundamental proofs

1. Dec 19, 2015 #1
    Is there a book containing fundamental proofs such as any number of the form x^2n beeing even and such.
    I know this is very vague, so I must apologize.
    Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What sort of proofs did you have in mind? x^2n (##x^{2n}##)is not necessarily even. It is always odd for x odd, so there is no proof of it.

4. Dec 20, 2015 #3
    Sorry I meant a proof concerning all numbers with a even exponent beeing positive and vice versa.

5. Dec 22, 2015 #4
    To add in my two cents, this sounds like something you may find in a "transition to mathematics" book. I'm pretty sure at least some of them conatin many proofs like what you displayed above. If you can't acquire such books, it may be a great habit to, when encountering something like your theorem that powers of even numbers being even functions, tryproving it on your own first, and then look up a proof online, say proofwiki.

6. Dec 22, 2015 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted