Proof of x^2n beeing even and other fundamental proofs

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a book with fundamental proofs, specifically regarding numbers with even exponents being positive and vice versa. The speakers discuss various sources for finding such proofs, including "transition to mathematics" books, Spivak's Calculus, Stillwell's Mathematics and its History, Hardy and Wright's An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers, and Artin's Algebra.
moriheru
Is there a book containing fundamental proofs such as any number of the form x^2n beeing even and such.
I know this is very vague, so I must apologize.
Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of proofs did you have in mind? x^2n (##x^{2n}##)is not necessarily even. It is always odd for x odd, so there is no proof of it.

Sorry I meant a proof concerning all numbers with a even exponent beeing positive and vice versa.

To add in my two cents, this sounds like something you may find in a "transition to mathematics" book. I'm pretty sure at least some of them conatin many proofs like what you displayed above. If you can't acquire such books, it may be a great habit to, when encountering something like your theorem that powers of even numbers being even functions, tryproving it on your own first, and then look up a proof online, say proofwiki.

1. What is the proof that x^2n is even?

The proof that x^2n is even is a simple application of the definition of an even number. An even number is any integer that is divisible by 2 without a remainder. When we raise x to the power of 2n, it results in a number that is composed of n pairs of x, which means it is divisible by 2 n times. Therefore, x^2n is always even.

2. Can you provide an example of a proof for x^2n being even?

Yes, for example, let's take x = 3 and n = 2. When we raise 3 to the power of 2, we get 9. And when we raise 9 to the power of 2, we get 81. So x^2n = 3^2*2 = 9*2 = 18, which is clearly an even number.

3. How can we prove the fundamental property of even numbers?

The fundamental property of even numbers is that they are divisible by 2 without a remainder. This can be proven using mathematical induction. First, we show that 2 is even, as it is divisible by 2 with no remainder. Then, assuming that k is even, we can show that k+2 is also even, as it can be written as k+2 = 2k + 2, which is clearly divisible by 2 without a remainder. Therefore, by mathematical induction, all integers divisible by 2 are even.

4. Are there any exceptions to the proof of x^2n being even?

No, there are no exceptions to this proof. As long as x is an integer and n is a positive integer, the result of x^2n will always be an even number. This is because the definition of an even number applies to all integers, and raising a number to a power does not change its nature of being even or odd.

5. How is the proof of x^2n being even useful in mathematics and science?

The proof of x^2n being even is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, such as number theory, algebra, and geometry. It is also used in many mathematical proofs and can help in solving equations and simplifying expressions. In science, this proof can be applied in various fields, such as physics and chemistry, where even numbers play a crucial role in understanding and analyzing data.