1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof on det(AB) = det(A)*det(B)

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A and B be nxn matrices, show that det(A)=det(A)det(B).

determinant_product.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

determinant_product2.png

I'm not sure how to express each column as a linear combination of vectors purely from A, or even from B. It's more of the dot product form: aT°b

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2013 #2

Erland

Science Advisor

4. Oct 22, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you should tell us what your "general definition of the determinant" is. It's probably easiest to go directly from there.

5. Oct 23, 2013 #4
    But i think we should first express the columns of matrix AB in terms of the columns of matrix A? (I'm not sure where B comes in) then somehow show that it is a linear combination, then make use of result 13. Then I think result 14 comes in when you get something that is just jumbled up, which simply gives det (AB) = sgn(P)*det(A)*det(B)

det(A) = Ʃ sgn(P) AP(1)1AP(2)2...

6. Oct 26, 2013 #5
    bumpp

7. Oct 26, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

As you noted, the first column of AB is
    $$\begin{pmatrix}
    \sum_{k=1}^n a_{1k}b_{k1} \\
    \sum_{k=1}^n a_{2k}b_{k1} \\
    \vdots \\
    \sum_{k=1}^n a_{nk}b_{k1}
    \end{pmatrix} =
    \begin{pmatrix}
    a_{11}b_{11} + a_{12}b_{21} + a_{13}b_{31} + \cdots + a_{1n}b_{n1} \\
    a_{21}b_{11} + a_{22}b_{21} + a_{23}b_{31} + \cdots + a_{2n}b_{n1} \\
    \vdots \\
    a_{n1}b_{11} + a_{n2}b_{21} + a_{n3}b_{31} + \cdots + a_{nn}b_{n1}
    \end{pmatrix}.$$ Express that in the form ##c_1\vec{a}_1 + c_2\vec{a}_2 + \cdots + c_n\vec{a}_n## where ##\vec{a}_k## is the kth column of A. How are the ##c_i##'s related to the elements of B?

8. Oct 29, 2013 #7
    So, the first column of AB = b11##\vec{a}_1## + b21##\vec{a}_2## + .... + bn1##\vec{a}_n##

kth-column = b1k##\vec{a}_1## + b2k##\vec{a}_2## + .... + bnk##\vec{a}_n##

I'm just not used to the idea of having "columns within a column", it sort of makes it more than nxn-dimensional.

Also, the earlier problem of

det(A) = λdet(B) + μdet(C)

only had one "special column" in matrix B and C that had a coefficient, while the rest were simply ##\vec{a}_1, \vec{a}_2, .... \vec{a}_n##

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  9. Oct 29, 2013 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Good! So you've done what the first part of the hint suggested, expressing the columns of AB as linear combinations of the columns of A. Now just follow through with the rest of the hint.

10. Oct 29, 2013 #9
    Also, the earlier problem of

det(A) = λdet(B) + μdet(C)

only had one "special column" in matrix B and C that had a coefficient, while the rest were simply ##\vec{a}_1, \vec{a}_2, .... \vec{a}_n##

while in the new form, it's literally in every column.

11. Oct 29, 2013 #10
    I think I got it:

We can simply rearrange the columns of matrix AB so as to separate them into the vectors ##\vec{a}_1, \vec{a}_2, \vec{a}_3 ....## and by result of problem 14, that's not going to change the absolute value of the determinant.

That would solve the dimensional crisis.

24mrcwi.png

Explanation why the product of b's = det(B)

2hp25ns.png

Consider the kth bracket, any permutation within that bracket is equivalent to a permutation of Q(k).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted