1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra determinant proof

1. Feb 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A and B be nxn matrices. Prove that if AB=I, then BA=I

det(AB)=det(I)

1.det(A)*det(B)=1

det(BA)=det(I)

2.det(B)*det(A)=1

Equating 1 and two together I get det(B)*det(A)=det(A)*det(B)

Thus AB=I, then BA=I

Is this correct?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2013 #2
    What you showed is that the ##det(AB) = det(BA)## but that doesn't really imply that ##AB = BA##. If you want to show that ##AB = BA##, you need to use the properties of inverses and facts about them.

What you did is a start, though. Since ##det(AB) = det(A)det(B) = 1##, that means neither ##det(A)## or ##det(B)## are 0. Ie, A and B are non-singular and have inverses. Now all you need to do is show that ##A## and ##B## are inverses of each other.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  4. Feb 13, 2013 #3
    Could I say that if B=A-1 then

det(AB)=det(A*A-1)=1

?

5. Feb 13, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure, that is correct if [itex]B=A^{-1}[/itex]. The problem is that you don't know that [itex]B=A^{-1}[/itex]. You need to prove that.

6. Feb 13, 2013 #5
    Would it be enough if I maybe do something like this

assume A-1=B

then A*B=I == A*A-1=I
    I=I

Which would make it true?

Because if B=A-1 then A*B=I would be true

7. Feb 13, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, you can't start with an assumption, get a true result, and then claim that proves the assumption is true. It's possible to start with a false assumption and get a true result.

8. Feb 13, 2013 #7
    What you're saying makes sense but i'm a bit unsure on how to use a false assumption in this case. For instance if I assume that B~=A-1 what can I do with that?

9. Feb 13, 2013 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The point is you can't assume B=A-1. That's what you're trying to prove.

10. Feb 13, 2013 #9
    That's where i'm stuck, How do I prove the assumption I made without using another assumption? Can you help me get started in the direction of proving B=A-1 so I dont run in circles.

11. Feb 13, 2013 #10
    It's very simple. Start with your "If" statement and somehow isolate ##B##. Remember that what you are given is assumed to be true.

12. Feb 13, 2013 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Let's back up for a second. You know what AB=I because that's a given. At this point, you don't know anything about A and B other than the fact that their product AB is the identity matrix. In particular, you don't know if A has an inverse or B has an inverse.

You then took the determinant of both sides and got to det(A)det(B)=1. Now det(A)det(B)=1 implies that det(A)≠0. See what Karnage1993 said up in post 2. det(A)≠0 tells you A does indeed have an inverse. So now you know that AB=I and A-1 exists. Can you use this knowledge to solve for B?

13. Feb 13, 2013 #12
    So the if statement is if AB=I

then A-1*AB=A-1I

Which is equal to B=A-1

14. Feb 13, 2013 #13
    Yes, that's correct, but you can only multiply both sides by ##A^{-1}## once you know for a fact that ##A## does indeed have an inverse, which we already went over above.

15. Feb 13, 2013 #14
    So I would have to state it like this

Since det(A)det(b)=det(I)=1
    det(AB) is nonsingular meaning it has an inverse, and then I can show the proof for B=A^-1

16. Feb 13, 2013 #15

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Not exactly. Try again. Your logic is a bit muddied still.

17. Feb 13, 2013 #16
    Looking at the book it says that a matrix A is termed invertable if there is a matrix B such that A*B=I.

So if i'm quoting the definition in the book technically i'm not assuming anything, just explaining the if statement. Right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook