Proof Question: Mathematical Induction

In summary, the statement "n^3 - n is divisible by 3" can be proven for all integers n >= 1 by using mathematical induction.
Lococard

Homework Statement

Use mathematical induction to prove, for all integers [itex]n >= 1[/itex]

[itex]n^3 - n[/itex] is divisible by 3

Homework Equations

Found equations with addition but no subtract involved.

The Attempt at a Solution

Another question suggests you expand the brackets, then insert the original theorem which prooves that the whole statement is true? (divisible by 3)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean by
Another question suggests you expand the brackets, then insert the original theorem which prooves that the whole statement is true?
but that is indeed how induction works.

So, first you need to show that it is true for n = 1 (or if you want, for the slightly less trivial case n = 2). Then you assume you have proven that [itex]n^3 - n[/itex] is divisible by 3, and you try to show that [itex](n + 1)^3 - (n + 1)[/itex] is divisible by 3 as well.
Then usually one stops writing down the proof, but the reasoning is: it has been shown that if it is true for n = 1, it will be true for n = 2. Also, it has been shown that if it is true for n = 2, it will be true for n = 3; et cetera. We have shown explicitly that it holds for n = 1. Therefore, it is true for n = 2, hence for n = 3, et cetera.

So first, check the statement for some low numbers (in principle, n = 1 would suffice, but you can check it for 2 and 3 if you want). Then assume it is true for n ("induction hypothesis") and try to prove it for n + 1. This can indeed by done by working out the brackets and trying to get [itex]n^3 - n[/itex] which is divisible by 3 by the induction hypothesis, plus something of which you can easily show that it is divisible by 3.

Yeah, i did the sum for 1 to 3 and they were all divisible by 3.I did attempt to break down [itex](n + 1)^3 - (n + 1)[/itex] but wasnt sure how.Is that the lowest form it can be displayed it?

Would i expand the brackets to (n+1)(n+1)(n+1) - (n - 1)

= n^3 - n - 1 +1

= n^3 - n

Lococard said:
Yeah, i did the sum for 1 to 3 and they were all divisible by 3.
OK.

Lococard said:

= n^3 - n - 1 +1

= n^3 - n

Not quite. First of all, you want to expand
[tex](n + 1)^3 - (n \operatorname{\color{red}+} 1) = (n + 1)(n + 1)(n + 1) - n - 1[/tex]
(note the sign in the first part, and the absence of brackets in the second part: ... - (n - 1) = ... - n + 1 is something different).
Then, you made an error in the expansion of the cubic:
[tex](n + 1)^3 = (n + 1)(n + 1)(n + 1) = (n + 1)(n^2 + 2n + 1) = \cdots [/tex]

Welcome to PF!

Lococard said:

= n^3 - n - 1 +1

= n^3 - n

Hi Lococard! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You must learn these expansions:

(n+1)(n+1) = n^2 + 2n + 1

(n+1)(n+1)(n+1) = n^3 + 3n^2 + 3n + 1

(n+1)(n+1)(n+1)(n+1) = n^4 + 4n^3 + 6n^2 + 4n + 1​

So (n + 1)^3 - (n + 1) = ? :smile:

n^3 + 3n^2 + 3n + 1 - (n + 1)?

How can i make this any smaller?

Regroup as follows
[tex]n^3 + 3n^2 + 3n + 1 - (n + 1) = n^3 + 3n^2 + 3n + 1 - n - 1 = (n^3 - n) + (3n^2 + 3n + 1 - 1)[/tex]
and use the induction hypothesis.

(You want to show that this is divisible by 3. What condition for a and b is sufficient to let a + b be divisible by 3?)

That n is being multiplied by 3 on the RHS.Do i have to have the +1 - 1?

Or can i just leave it as (n^3-n)+(3n^2+3n)?

Lococard said:
n^3 + 3n^2 + 3n + 1 - (n + 1)?

How can i make this any smaller?

Hi Lococard! :smile:

This is proof by induction. So you can assume that n^3 - n is divisible by 3.

So … ? :smile:

oh, and yes, definitely add the +1 and -1 to get 0.

So assuming that n^3-n is divisible by 3.

(n^3-n)+(3n^2+3n)

Knowing the first part is divisible by 3, the second part is divisible by 3 because n is being multiplied by 3, resulting in a number divisible by 3.Solved?

Yep, now all you have to do is write it out readably :smile:

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof used to prove statements about natural numbers or other mathematical objects that have a well-defined ordering.

2. How does mathematical induction work?

Mathematical induction works by first proving that a statement is true for a base case, usually when n = 1 or 0. Then, using the assumption that the statement is true for some arbitrary value of n, it is proven that it must also be true for n+1. This process is repeated until the desired result is achieved.

3. What is the difference between weak and strong induction?

Weak induction, also known as mathematical induction, only uses the previous value to prove the next one. On the other hand, strong induction uses all previous values to prove the next one. Strong induction is often used when the statement being proved depends on more than just the previous value.

4. Can mathematical induction be used to prove any statement?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that are expressed in terms of natural numbers or other objects that have a well-defined ordering. It cannot be used to prove statements about real numbers or other continuous mathematical objects.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction include assuming the statement is true without first proving the base case, skipping steps in the induction process, and using circular reasoning by assuming the statement is true in order to prove it is true.