1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that ∇ * A (magnetic vector potential) = 0

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    ∇Δ1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that [itex]\nabla \cdot A = 0 [/itex]

Where A is formally defined as
    [itex]A(r) = \frac{\mu }{4\pi }\int \frac{J(r')\text{ }}{r} \, dv' [/itex]

I understand that we can distribute ∇ into the integral, and from there we can do a little bit of algebra to get the terms inside the integrand of the form.

[itex]\nabla \cdot \left(\frac{J'}{r}\right) + J'\cdot \nabla \left(\frac{1}{r}\right)[/itex]

Now what happens next is where I get lost. I don't fully understand why we can throw away the first term since ∇ isn't dependent upon J'. I haven't seen anything like this done before and it seems a little fishy. Next griffiths uses some identity to change

[itex] J'\cdot \nabla \left(\frac{1}{r}\right) = -J'\cdot \nabla '\left(\frac{1}{r}\right) [/itex]

Then he repeats this whole process again, and throws away the J term. Finally he finishes with stokes theorem to relate the area integral to a line integrand.

I guess I could just use a little bit of commentary on this proof as it doesn't make much sense to me yet.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2
    First of all ∇ will only operate on those function which depends on r,not on r'.Since in expression of A only 1/r is the one which depends on r,So only this term will be considered and no others.The next one is the usual technique which is used many times.Your 1/r is actually 1/mod(r-r'),you can verify that ∇ acting on r in this will give the same result as -∇' acting on r'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook