Proof that ∇ * A (magnetic vector potential) = 0

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof for showing that the divergence of A is equal to 0, where A is defined as the integral of J over r. The conversation includes the use of distribution, algebra, and identities to manipulate the terms in the integral and simplify the proof. The use of Stokes theorem is also mentioned. The expert summarizer highlights the importance of ∇ only operating on functions that depend on r and explains the use of the usual technique of converting 1/r to 1/mod(r-r') to simplify the proof.
ozone
∇Δ

Homework Statement

Show that [itex]\nabla \cdot A = 0 [/itex]

Where A is formally defined as
[itex]A(r) = \frac{\mu }{4\pi }\int \frac{J(r')\text{ }}{r} \, dv' [/itex]

I understand that we can distribute ∇ into the integral, and from there we can do a little bit of algebra to get the terms inside the integrand of the form.

[itex]\nabla \cdot \left(\frac{J'}{r}\right) + J'\cdot \nabla \left(\frac{1}{r}\right)[/itex]

Now what happens next is where I get lost. I don't fully understand why we can throw away the first term since ∇ isn't dependent upon J'. I haven't seen anything like this done before and it seems a little fishy. Next griffiths uses some identity to change

[itex] J'\cdot \nabla \left(\frac{1}{r}\right) = -J'\cdot \nabla '\left(\frac{1}{r}\right) [/itex]

Then he repeats this whole process again, and throws away the J term. Finally he finishes with stokes theorem to relate the area integral to a line integrand.

I guess I could just use a little bit of commentary on this proof as it doesn't make much sense to me yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all ∇ will only operate on those function which depends on r,not on r'.Since in expression of A only 1/r is the one which depends on r,So only this term will be considered and no others.The next one is the usual technique which is used many times.Your 1/r is actually 1/mod(r-r'),you can verify that ∇ acting on r in this will give the same result as -∇' acting on r'.

1. What is the physical significance of ∇ * A = 0?

The equation ∇ * A = 0 represents the fact that the magnetic vector potential, A, is a solenoidal vector field. This means that the field has no sources or sinks, and therefore, the magnetic field lines are always closed loops.

2. How is ∇ * A related to the divergence of the magnetic field?

The equation ∇ * A = 0 is mathematically equivalent to saying that the divergence of the magnetic field, ∇ * B, is equal to zero. This is known as Gauss's law for magnetism and it states that the magnetic field has no divergence, or that it is a "solenoidal" field.

3. Is ∇ * A always equal to zero?

No, ∇ * A is not always equal to zero. It is only equal to zero when the magnetic field is in a state of static equilibrium, meaning that there are no changing electric fields present. In other words, ∇ * A = 0 is a special case of the more general equation, ∇ * A = -∂B/∂t, where B is the magnetic field and t is time.

4. How is ∇ * A used in electromagnetic theory?

The equation ∇ * A = 0 is an important part of Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It is used to relate the magnetic vector potential, A, to the magnetic field, B, and it helps to simplify the equations and make them more manageable to solve in various situations.

5. What implications does ∇ * A = 0 have on the behavior of magnetic fields?

∇ * A = 0 has several implications on the behavior of magnetic fields. Firstly, it means that magnetic field lines are always closed loops, and there are no sources or sinks of magnetic flux. Additionally, it implies that magnetic fields are conservative and have no "whirlpools" or "eddies" like electric fields do. Finally, it also means that the magnetic vector potential, A, can be uniquely determined from the magnetic field, B, using the equation A = ∫B·dl, where dl is an infinitesimal displacement along a closed path.