Proof using Riemann Integral definition

In summary, the function f does not exist for all x in the domain [a, b], except for the values x_1,x_2,…,x_k where it is zero.
KPutsch

Homework Statement

Suppose that f:[a, b] → ℝ is a function that is zero for all x ∈ [a, b] except for the values x_1,x_2,…,x_k. Find ∫[a b](f(x)dx) and prove your result.

Homework Equations

Definition of a Riemann integrable function: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_integral#Riemann_integral

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm simply not sure how to define the tags of the partition. If I let t1 be in [a, x1), t2 in (x1, x2), ..., tn in (xk, b], then the Riemann sum will be zero, but I'm not making use of the fact that f(xi) != 0. This is where I'm stuck, how do I make use of the fact that there is a finite set of discontinuities in setting up this proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
Select your partition to be really small so that the non zero points can be made smaller than epsilon. Alternatively, you could just say your set of discontinous points have measure 0.

I simply don't know how to do that. I'll let the norm of the partition be less than delta=epsilon, but when working with the Riemann sum, and when t_i = x_i, I'll be left with f(x_i)(x_i - x_i-1) < f(x_i)*epsilon.

Since I don't know what f(x_i) is, I can't put a bound on it. I don't know what else I could let delta be, because what if there are two tags that fall on an x_i and x_i+1, the the Riemann sum will be f(x_i)(x_i - x_i-1) + f(x_i+1)(x_i+1 - x_i) < [f(x_i)+f(x_i+1)]*epsilon.

I really don't like the way this this real analysis class is taught. I'm given definitions with no examples, and then asked to solve problems like this, with no idea of what I'm doing.

Last edited:

1. What is the Riemann Integral definition?

The Riemann Integral definition is a method for calculating the area under a curve by dividing the curve into smaller rectangles and summing their areas. It is named after mathematician Bernhard Riemann and is also known as the Riemann Sum.

2. How do I use the Riemann Integral definition to find the area under a curve?

To use the Riemann Integral definition, you need to divide the curve into smaller rectangles, calculate the area of each rectangle, and then sum all the areas. The more rectangles you use, the more accurate your result will be.

3. What is the difference between the Riemann Integral and the Lebesgue Integral?

The Riemann Integral is based on partitioning the interval of integration into smaller intervals, while the Lebesgue Integral is based on partitioning the range of the function into smaller subsets. The Lebesgue Integral is more general and can handle a wider range of functions.

4. What are the properties of the Riemann Integral?

The Riemann Integral has several important properties, including linearity, additivity, and monotonicity. It also follows the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function can be calculated by finding its antiderivative.

5. How is the Riemann Integral used in real-world applications?

The Riemann Integral is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics, to calculate important quantities such as volume, mass, and work. It is also used to solve optimization problems and analyze the behavior of complex systems.