1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof using vector geometry, I need some direction please.

1. Aug 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok, this is actually an assignment from my calc III class but it involves vectors so I was hoping I could get some help here.

The problem is There are two vectors A and B that make a parallelogram. I have to prove that when two line segments are drawn from a vertice from the vectors that bisect the vectors on the other side of the parallelogram the line segments will trisect the diagonal between the vectors. One of the tri-sections is labeled vector C. I am attaching a picture that I drew in paint which I think illustrates the problem. If it doesn't then It is how I understood it and that might be why I am having trouble to begin with. I have scribbled down a few things that I know are true, but I am really having a problem getting started.

2. Relevant equations

Relevant info is all rules pertaining to vectors and geometry and trig. I'm sure I'm just overlooking something simple.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried starting with the assumption that A+B= 3C

1/2A+B= one of the line segments

A+ 1/2B= the other line segment

these are things that I think maybe I need to assume to be true but I honestly have no idea where to start. Could someone please point me in the right direction? The diagram is really bad btw and not to scale, (like I said, I drew it in paint).

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Interesting that my first thought was that one of the two extra lines you added was not as described, but no matter because:

My descriptions may be a little unconventional here but I hop you understand.

You drew a line from A/2 to B - I expected that
    I expected the other line to be from A to B/2.

However the line you drew from the "mid-point of the top" to B could represent exactly the same vector, just translated b/2 to the right.

by then taking that C divided those two new lines in the ratio m:n, I could show than m:n was in the ration 1:2, so indeed C was a third of the full diagonal.

A starting point is to give vector notation to the new lines you drew.

You could start by describing the line you drew from B through C to half way along A as -B +A/2 if you consider one direction, or -A/2 + B if you take the other direction.

Consider that C divides that new vector in the ratio m:n [little bit to big bit] so the short part is m/(m+n) of the full vector, while the other bit is n/(m+n) of the full vector. Substitute and have fun.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook