Proof using vector geometry, I need some direction please.

In summary, the problem involves proving that when two line segments are drawn from a vertex of a parallelogram to bisect the opposite vectors, they will also trisect the diagonal between the vectors. The solution involves using vector notation and the ratio of m:n to show that C is one third of the full diagonal. The relevant information for the problem includes rules pertaining to vectors, geometry, and trigonometry.
kpollock2

Homework Statement

Ok, this is actually an assignment from my calc III class but it involves vectors so I was hoping I could get some help here.

The problem is There are two vectors A and B that make a parallelogram. I have to prove that when two line segments are drawn from a vertice from the vectors that bisect the vectors on the other side of the parallelogram the line segments will trisect the diagonal between the vectors. One of the tri-sections is labeled vector C. I am attaching a picture that I drew in paint which I think illustrates the problem. If it doesn't then It is how I understood it and that might be why I am having trouble to begin with. I have scribbled down a few things that I know are true, but I am really having a problem getting started.

Homework Equations

Relevant info is all rules pertaining to vectors and geometry and trig. I'm sure I'm just overlooking something simple.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried starting with the assumption that A+B= 3C

1/2A+B= one of the line segments

A+ 1/2B= the other line segment

these are things that I think maybe I need to assume to be true but I honestly have no idea where to start. Could someone please point me in the right direction? The diagram is really bad btw and not to scale, (like I said, I drew it in paint).

Attachments

• Vector problem.jpg
    Vector problem.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 546
Physics news on Phys.org
kpollock2 said:

Homework Statement

Ok, this is actually an assignment from my calc III class but it involves vectors so I was hoping I could get some help here.

The problem is There are two vectors A and B that make a parallelogram. I have to prove that when two line segments are drawn from a vertice from the vectors that bisect the vectors on the other side of the parallelogram the line segments will trisect the diagonal between the vectors. One of the tri-sections is labeled vector C. I am attaching a picture that I drew in paint which I think illustrates the problem. If it doesn't then It is how I understood it and that might be why I am having trouble to begin with. I have scribbled down a few things that I know are true, but I am really having a problem getting started.

Homework Equations

Relevant info is all rules pertaining to vectors and geometry and trig. I'm sure I'm just overlooking something simple.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried starting with the assumption that A+B= 3C

1/2A+B= one of the line segments

A+ 1/2B= the other line segment

these are things that I think maybe I need to assume to be true but I honestly have no idea where to start. Could someone please point me in the right direction? The diagram is really bad btw and not to scale, (like I said, I drew it in paint).

Interesting that my first thought was that one of the two extra lines you added was not as described, but no matter because:

My descriptions may be a little unconventional here but I hop you understand.

You drew a line from A/2 to B - I expected that
I expected the other line to be from A to B/2.

However the line you drew from the "mid-point of the top" to B could represent exactly the same vector, just translated b/2 to the right.

by then taking that C divided those two new lines in the ratio m:n, I could show than m:n was in the ration 1:2, so indeed C was a third of the full diagonal.

A starting point is to give vector notation to the new lines you drew.

You could start by describing the line you drew from B through C to half way along A as -B +A/2 if you consider one direction, or -A/2 + B if you take the other direction.

Consider that C divides that new vector in the ratio m:n [little bit to big bit] so the short part is m/(m+n) of the full vector, while the other bit is n/(m+n) of the full vector. Substitute and have fun.

Last edited:

1. What is vector geometry and how is it used in proofs?

Vector geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of vectors in a geometric setting. It is used in proofs to demonstrate the validity and accuracy of geometric statements and equations.

2. What are the basic principles of vector geometry?

The basic principles of vector geometry include the concept of vector addition, scalar multiplication, dot and cross product, and the use of coordinates and vectors to represent geometric figures.

3. How do you prove a statement using vector geometry?

To prove a statement using vector geometry, you would typically start by defining the given geometric figure in terms of vectors and their coordinates. Then, you would use vector operations and properties to manipulate the given figure and equations to arrive at a solution that supports the original statement.

4. Are there any common misconceptions about proofs using vector geometry?

One common misconception is that vector geometry is only applicable to two-dimensional figures. In reality, it can also be used to prove statements about three-dimensional figures and even higher dimensions.

5. What are some tips for mastering proofs using vector geometry?

Some helpful tips for mastering proofs using vector geometry include practicing with a variety of problems, familiarizing yourself with vector operations and properties, and using diagrams to aid in your understanding and visualization of geometric concepts.