1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof with intersection of subspaces

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose L, M, and N are subspaces of a vector space.

(a)
    Show that the equation
    [tex] L \cap (M+N) = (L \cap M)+(L \cap N) [/tex]
    is not necessarily true.

(b)
    Prove that
    [tex] L \cap (M+(L \cap N))=(L \cap M) + (L \cap N) [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

(a)
    I let
    [tex]
    \begin{aligned}
    M=&\;span\{(0,0),(1,0)\}\\
    N=&\;span\{(0,0),(0,1)\}\\
    L=&\;span\{(0,0),(1,1)\}
    \end{aligned}
    [/tex]

Then,

[tex]
    \begin{aligned}
    M+N=&\;span\{(0,0),(1,0),(0,1),(1,1)\}\\
    L \cap (M+N)=&\;span\{(0,0),(1,1)\}\\
    L \cap M=&\;span\{(0,0)\}\\
    L \cap N=&\;span\{(0,0)\}
    \end{aligned}
    [/tex]

and the equation is not true.

This in fact leads me to believe that the equation does not hold when [tex]L \subset (M+N) [/tex], because then [tex]L \cap (M+N) = L[/tex] and [tex]L \cap M[/tex] and [tex]L \cap N[/tex] are something else.
    I would guess they turn out to be something like [tex]L-L \cap N[/tex] and [tex]L-L \cap M[/tex], respectively..

(b)

[tex] L \cap M + L \cap (L \cap N) = (L \cap M) + (L \cap N) [/tex]

That's all I can come up with on my own.
    Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

For (b), show that [itex]L \cap (M+(L \cap N))\subset (L \cap M) + (L \cap N)[/itex] and [itex](L \cap M) + (L \cap N) \subset L \cap (M+(L \cap N))[/itex].

For example, assume [itex]x \in L \cap (M+(L \cap N))[/itex]. Then [itex]x \in M+(L \cap N)[/itex], so you can write [itex]x = m + n[/itex] where [itex]m \in M[/itex] and [itex]n \in L \cap N[/itex]. If you can show that [itex]m \in L[/itex], then you'll have that [itex]m \in (L \cap M)[/itex] and consequently that [itex]x \in (L \cap M)+(L \cap N)[/itex], so [itex]L \cap (M+(L \cap N))\subset (L \cap M) + (L \cap N)[/itex].

4. Feb 6, 2010 #3
    From our assumption that [tex]x\in L \cap (M+(L\cap N)) [/tex], we have that [tex]x\in L[/tex].
    Since [tex]x=m+n[/tex] we have that [tex]m\in L[/tex] and [tex]n \in L [/tex], so
    [tex] L \cap (M+(L\cap N)) \subset (L\cap M)+(L\cap N) [/tex].

Is that it or do I have to show that [tex] (L\cap M)+(L\cap N)\subset L\cap (M+(L\cap N)) [/tex]?

Suppose [tex] x \in (L\cap M)+(L\cap N) [/tex] and [tex]x=m+n[/tex] where [tex]m\in (L\cap M)[/tex] and [tex]n\in (L\cap N)[/tex].
    Then [tex]m\in L[/tex] and [tex]n\in L[/tex].
    I do not know how to proceed..

Thank you!

5. Feb 6, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Wait, how do you know that m is in L from knowing x is in L? M is not necessarily contained in L, so isn't it possible that m is in M but not in L. You need to explain why m must also be in L.

You have to show both directions to prove equality.

You know that [itex]m \in M[/itex] and [itex]n \in L\cap N[/itex], so it follows that [itex]x=m+n \in M+(L \cap N)[/itex]. If you can show that x is in L, you can conclude it's an element of [itex]L\cap (M+(L\cap N))[/itex].

Hint: Remember that L, M, and N are subspaces.

6. Feb 7, 2010 #5
    Since [tex]m+n \in L,\;n\in L[/tex] and [tex]L[/tex] is a subspace (closed under vector addition), we know that [tex]m \in L[/tex]?

From [tex](L \cap N)[/tex] I know that [tex]n \in L[/tex], and from [tex](L \cap M)[/tex] I know that [tex]m \in L[/tex].
    [tex]m+n[/tex] must also be in [tex]L[/tex] since it is a subspace.
    Now, [tex]m+n \in (M+(L \cap N))[/tex] and [tex]m+n \in L[/tex] and so [tex]x[/tex] is an element of [tex]L \cap (M+(L\cap N))[/tex].

Is this any good?

Thanks!

7. Feb 7, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes.
    Perfect.

8. Feb 7, 2010 #7
    Thank you very much :)

9. Feb 8, 2010 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

One other thing that I didn't notice coming up in this thread.
    There is no need to include (0,0) as a vector in your span{} sets. It's not incorrect to include it, but it needlessly clutters things up. You could have more simply said that
    M = span{(1, 0)}
    N = span{(0, 1)}
    L = span{(1, 1)}
    All of these are one-dimensional subspaces of R2, and for each the entire subspace is generated by scalar multiples of the given vector. Choose the scalar to be 0 for each, and you get the zero vector.

10. Feb 8, 2010 #9
    That makes sense and looks prettier. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook