Proof/Yield Strength required for EN1A carbon steel

In summary, the conversation is about searching for figures regarding the proof or yield strength of EN1A steel, now known as 220M07 according to BS970. The Tensile strength has been obtained, but the user is seeking help in finding data for the yield or proof strength. Google was suggested as a resource, and a link was provided. The user expressed gratitude and asked for assistance in finding the breaking strain for Steel En1A (BS 970), providing data for the young's modulus, Poisson's ratio, yield stress, and breaking stress.
Mech King
Hi guys,

i have been searching for ages to get figures for the proof or yield strength of EN1A steel, which is now known as 220M07 as per BS970.

I have managed to obtain the Tensile strength, but would anyboday please be able to help point me in the right direction to data for the yield or proof strength.

Thanks in Advance,

Amir

Engineering news on Phys.org
Google is your friend:

http://www.buau.com.au/english/files/BMS.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks Timmay

just what i needed

Cheers

No worries. From my far from extensive search I established that there's a wide range of reported values, so you may wish to either use the lowest value for conservative estimates or take the spread into account in your safety factors.

Dear all,

anyboday please be able to help point me in the right direction to get the data Breaking strain for Steel En1A (BS 970)

i have Data
young's modulus=207000MPa
Poisson’s ratio : 0.3
Yield stress : 305MPa
Breaking stress : 480MPa
Thanks in Advance,

Vinothkumar

1. What is the proof/yield strength of EN1A carbon steel?

The proof/yield strength of EN1A carbon steel is typically between 330-380 MPa (48-55 ksi).

2. How is the proof/yield strength of EN1A carbon steel determined?

The proof/yield strength is determined through tensile testing, where a sample of the steel is pulled until it deforms and the point at which it starts to deform is recorded as the yield point.

3. What factors can affect the proof/yield strength of EN1A carbon steel?

The proof/yield strength of EN1A carbon steel can be affected by factors such as the composition of the steel, heat treatment processes, and any surface defects.

4. What is the significance of the proof/yield strength in EN1A carbon steel?

The proof/yield strength is important as it indicates the maximum stress that the steel can withstand before it permanently deforms. This information is crucial for designing and engineering applications using EN1A carbon steel.

5. Is the proof/yield strength of EN1A carbon steel different from other types of steel?

Yes, the proof/yield strength can vary depending on the composition and heat treatment of the steel. Different types of steel may have different proof/yield strengths, so it is important to consult the specific material properties for accurate information.