How do I improve my skills in constructing mathematical proofs?

• Thread starter gop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the speaker is an expert in solving algebraic manipulations, epsilon-delta arguments, and mathematical induction proofs. However, they struggle with proofs involving a lot of quantification and find it helpful to write them in FOL. They also mention difficulty in understanding other types of proofs, such as the uniqueness of real number's n-th root. The speaker seeks advice on how to improve their proof-writing skills and the responder suggests practicing more proofs and continuing with other mathematical topics to gain experience and expertise. They emphasize that there is no shortcut and hard work and perseverance are key to mastering proof-writing.
gop
Hi

First of all, I would like to mention that I can do proofs that involve algebraic manipulations (in a field i.e.) pretty well,
or proofs that involve epsilon-delta arguments or mathematical induction.
However, at the moment I'm reading "Principles of mathematical analysis" and I have a hard time to do the proofs on my own (maybe I can solve 1/3 of them).

I am used to write down the hypotheses and the conclusion in FOL (logic) and then I try to manipulate it to arrive at the conclusion.
This however (in my experience) works only well for proofs with a reasonably number of quantifiers (i.e. epsilon-delta arguments).

So my question would be how do you start a proof that involve a lot of quantification by writing it down in FOL or do you use another method?Another type of proofs, like the one why every real number has one unique n-th root, are a completely mystery to me. While I can follow it without problem I can't claim that I would have ever thought of that particular step etc..

What would you recommend? Just to practice more proofs (even if that means staring at the same equation for hours without solving it) or to continue with other mathematical topics and eventually reach a level of experience where the proofs can be done (I did the second in some fields of computer science and it worked quite well; however, this were obviously no proofs but rather examples of how to apply certain technique in a unusual way i.e.)

thx

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, there's no other way to learn constructing correct and preferably elegant proofs than hard work and all the things that this entails. I think that both practicing more proofs and continuing with other mathematical topics till you are at a decent level and be able to do proofs that you previously couldn't, are things which given the right timing and combinations when you apply them, can lead you to a good learning. There's no secret, magical way or shortcut; the secret is in my opinion to not give up. Experience and expertise are things gained along the way provided that you work in a focused and systematic manner and wholeheartedly.

1. What are mathematical proofs?

Mathematical proofs are logical arguments that demonstrate the truth of a mathematical statement. They provide a rigorous and systematic way to verify the validity of mathematical theorems and equations.

2. Why is it important to learn how to do proofs?

Learning how to do proofs helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also allows one to understand the logical foundations of mathematics and builds a strong foundation for advanced mathematical concepts.

3. What are the different types of proofs?

There are several types of proofs, including direct proofs, indirect proofs, proof by contradiction, proof by induction, and proof by construction. Each type of proof has its own method and approach to demonstrate the validity of a statement.

4. How can one improve their ability to do proofs?

Practicing regularly is the key to improving one's ability to do proofs. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and techniques used in proofs, such as logic, algebra, and geometry. Additionally, seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any tips for learning and understanding proofs?

Some tips for learning and understanding proofs include breaking down the proof into smaller, manageable steps, practicing with different types of proofs, and seeking help or clarification when needed. It is also important to be patient and persistent, as learning proofs takes time and practice.