1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Proofs using absolute value with Triangle/AGM Inequality

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    *Sorry I could not get the math symbols to work properly so I did it by hand. I hope this isn't too much trouble.

Prove:
    | sqrt( x ) - sqrt( y ) | <= | sqrt ( x - y ) |

for x, y >= 0

Hint: Treat the cases x >= y and x <= y separately.

I am new to proofs and we can't use calculus. It's all confusing to me and we've only just begun. The farthest we got was to the Triangle Inequality / the AGM Inequality so I assume that's the most we can do.

2. Relevant equations
    I assume whomever is helping me already knows the AGM and Triangle Inequalities since they're the most basic of all the inequalities for proofs.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I squared both sides and moved the absolute value signs to the individual variables and then in then in either case, I can remove them.

On the left side I had x + y and just removed that and -2 sqrt(x) sqrt(y) and removed that one too. On the right I had x - y so I write it as that if x > y and -y + x if x < y

Subtract x from both sides and then

y - 2 * sqrt( x ) * sqrt( y ) <= -y

I am pretty lost here. Iff x >= y then the roots would be the same and I could replace sqrt( y ) with sqrt ( x ). I would then add y to both sides and thus

2y - 2x <= 0
    2(y-x) <= 0

and that's not true since x >= y and the equality would only hold true in that situation if they were equal, which we know the equality is true if y > x from substitution

PS. Thank you for taking your time to review my question and for whatever help you provide. I appreciate it very much, this question frustrated me for far too long so far.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2010 #2

jgens

Gold Member

I can't really make out what you're trying to say, but this proof follows pretty easily from the inequality:

[tex]0 \leq x-y \leq (\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y})(\sqrt{x-y})[/tex]

since [itex]x \geq y[/itex] (otherwise the square root of [itex]x-y[/itex] wouldn't exist).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook