Prooving pseudo-periodicity of diffracted field for gratings

• Thread starter spookyfw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the author is trying to show the derivation of the grating equation for a perfectly conducting medium. He starts by stating the boundary conditions on the grating profile for TE and TM waves. Next, he deduces the Dirichlet and Neumann boundary conditions for the scalar field u that he has defined before. The two homogeneous conditions read (page 26)u(x,f(x)) = 0 \partial_n u (x,f(x)) = 0 He states that the Dirichlet and Neumann boundary conditions directly follow, when
spookyfw
Hi

for my thesis I wanted to show the complete derivation for the grating equation - case: perfectly conducting. The later steps are all no problem, but I am struggling with the proof of pseudo-periodicity. I found in my opinion a nice summary here: http://www.math.purdue.edu/~lipeijun/math598_f10/notes/notes.pdf

He starts with Maxwell, states the boundary conditions on the grating profile for TE and TM waves (page 25):

[itex]n \times (E_1 - E_2) = 0 [/itex]
[itex]n \times (H_1 - E_2) = 0 [/itex]

and then deduces the Dirichlet and Neumann boundary conditions for the scalar field u that he has defined before.

The two homogeneous conditions read (page 26)

[itex]u(x,f(x)) = 0 [/itex]
[itex]\partial_n u (x,f(x)) = 0 [/itex]

He states that the Dirichlet and Neumann boundary conditions directly follow, when E= (0,0,u) and H = (0,0,u). But I don't see how, as the normal vector has both x and y components, when moving along the grating profile.

If someone could point out how this simple form is derived I would be really grateful.spookyfw

Science news on Phys.org
spookyfw said:
<snip>

Are you asking how to get from Eq. 2.2 to Eqns 2.3 and 2.4?

Thanks for looking into the pdf. Yes..thats exactly the step. To me it seems that he put n=(0,1,0). If you could shed some light...

any hints someone can give to tackle this problem?

Maybe I'm missing something, but if the surface normal n = (n1, n2,0), eqns 1.8 and 1.10 (and 2.2) result in 2.3 and 2.4. Can you show any of your work?

Thank you andy.

For the first part I agree:

(n1, n2, 0) x (0,0,u) = (n2 u, -n1 u, 0) = 0.

This directly implies that u = 0.

But to get the boundary condition for TM, I don't see it. Without applying any other equation you directly get the same boundary condition as before, as now H = (0,0,u) and hence u(x1,(f(x1)) = 0

I don't see how to bring this into the form

[itex]\nabla_n u = 0[/itex]

and even if..shouldn't there be only one boundary condition for the one section?

I found a few typos in the pdf (for example, 1.10; the first paragraph in section 2.3...). Anyhow, if you note that curl(H) = -ikE then you can (again) begin with n x E = 0 but substitute E_x = -1/ik (partial H_3/partial y), E_y = 1/ik(partial H_3/partial x), evaluate the cross product and obtain partial u/partial n.

Likes 1 person
True that solves it. Thank you alot. I was wondering though: in general it holds that

[itex]n \times (H_1 - H_2) [/itex]
Why does this not work here and just leads to the Dirichlet boundary conditions once again?

Is the following logic sound to finally prove pseudo-periodicity:

due to uniqueness of solutions to the Helmholtz equation if we show that

[itex] w(x1,x2) = u^d(x1 + D, x2) \cdot exp(-i D \alpha) [/itex] is a solution to the Helmholtz equation: [itex]\Delta u^d + \kappa^2 u^d = 0 [/itex] and satisfies all boundary constraints (radiation condition and Dirichlet + Neumann) then w(x1,x2) has to be equal to u^d(x1,x2) and hence u is quasi-periodic.

Helmholtz equation:
plugging w into the equation
[itex] exp(-i D \alpha) \Delta u^d(x1 + D, x2) + \kappa^2 u^d(x1 + D, x2) exp(-i D \alpha) = 0 [/itex]

As the the Helmholtz equation holds for [itex] u^d [/itex] and [itex] u^d(x1 + D, x2) [/itex] can be brought into the form [itex] u^d(x1',x2) [/itex]. It holds for w(x1,x2) as well.

Boundary conditions:

In TE polarization we then have to show that [itex] w + u^{inc} = 0 [/itex] correct? But then we would have to proove that

[itex] u^d(x_1 + D, x_2) exp(-i D \alpha) + e^{i(\alpha x_1 - \beta x_2)} = 0 [/itex]. I really don't know how to do that one. The whole proof seems a little fishy to me. Am I on the right track here, or is it completely off?

Thanks in advance for your help.

spookyfw said:
True that solves it. Thank you alot. I was wondering though: in general it holds that

[itex]n \times (H_1 - H_2) [/itex]
Why does this not work here and just leads to the Dirichlet boundary conditions once again?

Offhand, I would say that it's due to the boundary conditions: n x H = K, where K is the surface current density: H = 0 inside a perfect conductor for oscillating fields.

spookyfw said:
Is the following logic sound to finally prove pseudo-periodicity:

<snip>

In TE polarization we then have to show that [itex] w + u^{inc} = 0 [/itex] correct? But then we would have to proove that

[itex] u^d(x_1 + D, x_2) exp(-i D \alpha) + e^{i(\alpha x_1 - \beta x_2)} = 0 [/itex]. I really don't know how to do that one. The whole proof seems a little fishy to me. Am I on the right track here, or is it completely off?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I haven't gone through the pdf file is great detail, but it seems that eqn 2.7 is substantively different than what you wrote above. In any case, are you just trying to work through the pdf to see if you get the same results?

Likes 1 person
I wanted to prove the periodicity in x. All the resources I've found so far always used these handwaving arguments. But I wanted to see it coherently on paper why the proof works like that. Starting with that I stumbled on some problems.

[itex] w + u^{inc} = 0 [/itex] was a mere try to somehow get started showing:
The boundary condition is also satisfied by observing that [itex]u^{inc}[/itex] is a quasiperiodic function and using the boundary condition of [itex]u^d[/itex].

Ha..that should show it in the end. No?

[tex]\begin{eqnarray} u^d(x,y) &=& -u^{inc} \\
u^d(x+\Lambda,y) &=& -u^{inc} (x+\Lambda, y) \\
{} &=& - u^{inc} e^{i\lambda \Lambda} \\
u^d(x+\Lambda, y) e^{-i\lambda \Lambda}&=& -u^{inc} \\
w^d &=& -u^{inc}
\end{eqnarray} [/tex]

Likewise it can be shown that

[tex] \partial_n w^d = - \partial_n u^{inc} [/tex]

That should complete the proof if I am not mistaken. Thank you for the lead :).

1. What is the definition of pseudo-periodicity for diffracted fields in gratings?

Pseudo-periodicity refers to the periodicity of the diffracted field in a grating, which is a repeating pattern of intensity peaks and valleys. However, unlike true periodicity, the spacing between these peaks and valleys may not be exactly the same due to variations in the grating structure.

2. How is pseudo-periodicity different from true periodicity?

Pseudo-periodicity is a form of approximate periodicity, meaning that while the diffracted field still exhibits a repeating pattern, the spacing between peaks and valleys may vary slightly. In contrast, true periodicity refers to a perfectly regular and unchanging spacing between intensity peaks and valleys.

3. What causes pseudo-periodicity in diffracted fields for gratings?

Pseudo-periodicity in diffracted fields can be caused by a variety of factors, including imperfections in the grating structure, variations in the incident angle or wavelength of light, and the presence of multiple diffraction orders.

4. How is pseudo-periodicity quantified and measured?

Pseudo-periodicity can be quantified through various methods, such as calculating the average spacing between intensity peaks and valleys, measuring the deviation from a perfect sinusoidal pattern, or analyzing the Fourier transform of the diffracted field. These methods can provide a numerical value for the degree of pseudo-periodicity present in the field.

5. What is the significance of understanding and proving pseudo-periodicity in diffracted fields for gratings?

Proving pseudo-periodicity is important for accurately characterizing the behavior of diffracted fields in gratings, which are commonly used in a variety of scientific and technological applications. Understanding the degree of pseudo-periodicity present can also help in the design and optimization of grating structures for specific purposes.