1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prooving the Cayley-Hamilton Theorem

1. Jun 4, 2008 #1
    Proving the Cayley-Hamilton Theorem

Hey all,

I'm revising for my linear algebra exam, which is next week, and I got up to the Cayley-Hamilton theorem, but I am stuck on the final leap in the proof. Here is what I understand so far,

Theorem:

Every matrix is a zero of it's characteristic equation[tex][P_{A}(\lambda)=det(A-\lambda I)][/tex],

For [tex]\\\\\\\\\\\\\ A \in M_{n}(k)[/tex] [tex] P_{A}(A)=0[/tex]

Proof:

[tex]
    Let\ P_{A}(\lambda)=det(A-\lambda I)=\lambda^{n}+a_{n-1}\lambda^{n-1}+\ldots+a_{1}\lambda+a_{0}[/tex]

and consider,

[tex]\phi(\lambda)=adj(A-\lambda I)=B_{n-1}\lambda^{n-1}+ldots+B_{1}\lambda+B_{0}[/tex]

where [tex] B_{i} \in M_{n}(k)[/tex]

Given that for any [tex]C \in M_{n}(k); \\ C*adj(C)=det(C)*I.[/tex]

So by letting [tex] C=A-\lambda I[/tex] we have,

[tex](A- \lambda I)*\phi(\lambda)=det(A-\lambda I)I=P_{A}(\lambda)I[/tex]

Expanding we have,

[tex](A- \lambda I)*(B_{n-1}\lambda^{n-1}+ldots+B_{1}\lambda+B_{0})=(\lambda^{n}+a_{n-1}\lambda^{n-1}+ldots+a_{1}\lambda+a_{0})*I[/tex]

The next step has me in tears, my book says compare coefficients and add but I can't see how you would compare these? Please can anyone help me to complete this?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted