1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Propagation of light in a vaccuum?

1. Jan 14, 2010 #1
    We have consistently been told that light propagates through a vaccuum. My question is twofold:

What is this vaccuum vacant of? (Unless we could reach temperatures below -273C, I cannot imagine that there is somewhere that electromagnetic waves are NOT present)

Where and when was this bold statement of propagation proven?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2010 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Vacant of?

The vacuum is vacant of matter; It is lousy with energy (EM radiation).

The moment we concluded that the gulf between Earth and Sun was a vacuum. Presto. Light travels through a vacuum.

4. Jan 14, 2010 #3
    Hi Dave, Is that the best you can do? You seem to be saying: Believe or the you will be put to death by the physics community.

5. Jan 14, 2010 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Best I can do?? I answered your questions pretty conclusively.

The only thing you have to "believe" is that, above the atmosphere of the Earth, there is vacuum. Do you have reason to think there is something else?

6. Jan 14, 2010 #5
    You said it. It is seething with energy. Why would energy be distinguished from "matter" and be ignored as a ligitimate medium or fabric?

7. Jan 14, 2010 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It is the energy that is doing the propogating - in the form of EM radiation (or photons), and it is doing so at the speed of light. Energy does not simply sit around in the vacuum.

8. Jan 14, 2010 #7
    I disagree. The light or EM we are measuring is the energy we are trying to find out what it is propagating through. I'm talking about the background through which this specific EM wave is being propagated.

9. Jan 14, 2010 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Do you feel your knowledge level of the subject is sufficent to refute established science?

It is one thing to ask why your logic doesn't makes sense. It is another to think your logic makes sense when you haven't learned the field of study.

Yes you are. And you have no basis for doing so because there is no reason to hypothesize that the universe works this way.

10. Jan 14, 2010 #9

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The reasons for the failure of the aether theories would be something that the OP would find instructive in familiarizing themself with.

11. Jan 14, 2010 #10
    I am certainly not tryng to hypothesise a "new" theory, but merely trying to understand why the EM background was ignored as a propagation medium. Is this not the right forum for such questions... if so I'll move on.

12. Jan 15, 2010 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It is a fine forum to discuss.

But your question is leading; it is not well-formed. It contains some assumptions, for example about "why something was ignored". What I'm trying to do is root out such preconceptions and get at the real question you have.

This EM background is not simply a field against which other things move. It is properly EM radiation. It radiates from hot (matter) objects and is abosrbed by other (matter) objects. At the speed of light.

On the other hand, in a sense, your question can be easily answered: the medium by which EM radiation propogates is itself. Photons are their own medium. As they move away from a radiation source at c, they do so while voibrating at their characteristic frequency.

I have a question: why do you think that EM radiation must have a medium through which it travels?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  13. Jan 15, 2010 #12

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're asking why the EM background is not a propagation medium for EM waves?

14. Jan 15, 2010 #13
    Hi there Born2wire. Excuse my ignorance, but who or what is the OP you are referring to. Do you also think that this forum is inappropriate for such questions? Please advise me.

15. Jan 15, 2010 #14
    Hi Matterwave. Yes that seems to be what I am asking. Is water not the medium through which energy or wave or disturbance moves through in a wave form. Why is the energy disturbance propagating through a EM background any different?

16. Jan 15, 2010 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

OP = original poster = you

This forum is perfectly appropriate. But you must be careful of making claims that you cannot back up. Ask questions instead of making claims.

born2wire's advice is good; read up on aether theories. They have ebbed and flowed over more than a century, but ultimately failed to be reconciled with observation.

The big failure with aether theories is this:
    If tghere were a medium through which EM radiation propogated, then we could determine Earth's velocity with respect to this medium - like tghe wind on a moving car. We should be able to look in the "forward" direction and see lgiht coming at us faster or more blue-shifted than it does if we look "rearward".

We do not see this bias. No matter which direction we look, we see EMR coming at us the same. This means one of two things:
    1] Earth is dead-stopped wrt this aether. i.e. Earth is unique in the universe, being stopped while all other bodies (including the sun!) are not privileged
    2] the aether theory is false

17. Jan 15, 2010 #16

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem with this analogy is that you're talking about waves moving through a medium rather than waves moving through itself.

E.g. Would you say that water travels through the medium of water? The point is, the water is the water, of course when water travels there's water present. It's basically a tautology. What you're saying is effectively something along the lines of "water propagates through the medium of water". I mean...ostensibly, this may be correct. EM waves do travel as propagating EM fields (the E-field induces a B-field which in turn induces a E-field, etc), but it's not the same as saying EM fields travel within a medium.

18. Jan 15, 2010 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This question is poorly-formed.

"Energy disturbance" is not a real term.
    "EM background" is not a real term (in this context).

A question that contains fictional terms cannot be sensibly answered.

I'm not trying to be all shirty about it here (I realize that it may be coming across that way). I'm trying to correct some misconceptions you have. One of the ways to do that is disqualify the ambiguous terms you're using. It is these terms, and the false concepts they represent, that is confusing you.

Simply put: water moving across a pond is not a good analogy for photons moving through vacuum.

19. Jan 15, 2010 #18
    Thanks for the advice. Yes Dave, My common sense does shout out that a wave needs something to propagate through. My understanding of the current theory is that it involves "virtual" photons and the original question was based on the dilemma that I have that it is necessary to theorise anything virtual when gillions of photons are already present to do the job (by the way, that IS a question, but I understand if you say it could be leading ... but I don't know where else to involk such dialectic. Perhapa all questions are leading in a way)

20. Jan 15, 2010 #19

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Virtual photons don't have anything to do with photon propagation, AFAIK. Virtual photons are the force mediator for the electro-magnetic force.

21. Jan 15, 2010 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Why does a wave need something to propogate through?

Why does your common sense come into play?

Common sense is the application of knowledge we already have to a new situation. If we are to ever learn even the slightest new fact about the universe (rather than just rehash stuff we already know), it will have to run counter to our common sense. Right?

A scientist gives up his common sense as the burden it is. A scientist merely observes what is, and modifies his understanding accordingly.

No. Not sure where virtual photons came from in this topic.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook