Properties of differential operators

In summary, the individual is solving a system of differential equations and wonders if it is mathematically correct to divide out (D+2) in one of the equations and get X+Y=0, X=-Y. However, the expert clarifies that this is not correct since (D+2) is not an invertible operator and there may be functions that satisfy (D+2)Z=0 where Z is not 0. The individual thanks the expert for the explanation.
mathnoobie

Homework Statement

Hi, I am solving a system of differential equations and in one of my equations I have this,
(D+2)X+(D+2)Y=0 where X and Y are variables, D is my differential operator.
My question is, would it be mathematically correct to divide out (D+2)
and thus getting X+Y=0, X=-Y ?

Physics news on Phys.org
mathnoobie said:

Homework Statement

Hi, I am solving a system of differential equations and in one of my equations I have this,

No, it wouldn't.

mathnoobie said:

Homework Statement

No, (D+2) isn't an invertible operator. There are functions that satisfy (D+2)Z=0 where Z isn't 0. Try to take that into account and try again.

Ah alright, thank you. That explains why my answer seemed to make no sense.

1. What is a differential operator?

A differential operator is a mathematical operator that acts on a function to produce another function. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives.

2. What are the properties of differential operators?

The properties of differential operators include linearity, commutativity, and associativity. They also follow the product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule.

3. How do differential operators act on functions?

Differential operators act on functions by taking the derivative of the function with respect to the variable it is operating on. For example, the operator d/dx acts on a function f(x) to produce f'(x).

4. What is the order of a differential operator?

The order of a differential operator is the highest derivative present in the operator. For example, the operator d^3/dx^3 is of third order.

5. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative is a derivative of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables, while a total derivative takes into account the dependence of the function on all of its variables. In other words, a partial derivative holds all variables except the one it is differentiating with respect to constant, while a total derivative takes into account the changes in all variables.