Volume of hydrogen gas after cooling to 150 K and pressurizing to 600 kPa

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ohm.
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gases Properties
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Ohm.
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A volume of 2.40x10^-3 m^3 of hydrogen gas is enclosed in a cylinder with a movable piston at 300 K under a pressure of 203 kPa (2.00 atm). The density of hydrogen under these conditions is 0.180 kg m^3.

1. The gas is cooled down to 150 K, and the pressure is increased to 600 kPa. Calculate the volume in the gas.

2. The attempt at a solution
1.) How does gas cooling down and pressure increasing affect the volume?

I was not here for this lesson, hence I have no idea what I'm doing. Thanks for the help.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ohm. said:

Homework Statement


A volume of 2.40x10^-3 m^3 of hydrogen gas is enclosed in a cylinder with a movable piston at 300 K under a pressure of 203 kPa (2.00 atm). The density of hydrogen under these conditions is 0.180 kg m^3.

1. The gas is cooled down to 150 K, and the pressure is increased to 600 kPa. Calculate the volume in the gas.

2. The attempt at a solution
1.) How does gas cooling down and pressure increasing affect the volume?

I was not here for this lesson, hence I have no idea what I'm doing. Thanks for the help.
Simply approach is to use ideal gas law: PV = mRT. There should be no mass entering or leaving the cylinder so: P1 V1 / T1 = P2 V2 / T2. Solve for V2 and substitute numerical values.