1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proportionality between Frequency and Mass

1. Oct 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There was an investigation on how mass affected frequency and we had to plot this relationship.

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution

I plotted frequency as the y-axis and mass as the x-axis. I got this weird parabolic shape opening upwards and I'm not quite sure if this is right at all. If someone could tell me the proportionality between these 2 factors, that'd be great. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, HeavyGuy.
    What was the apparatus?
    If it was a spring, you could look up a spring formula relating f and m.
    Likewise if it was a pendulum, or whatever.
    Perhaps that is making it too easy. You might want to guess what the relationship is. Parabolic certainly suggests a square or a square root. Say you think the formula is f = k*m². Then you compute m² for each data point and plot f vs m². If your formula is correct, you'll get a straight line and its slope will be the k.

4. Oct 25, 2009 #3
    thanks for the reply. there was a mass attached to a mass and it was swung in a horizontal circular motion above the head. ill try to plot m^2 right now.

5. Oct 25, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I forgot the possibility that the frequency decreases as the mass increases. If you have this kind of thing going on, then you need to invert something, for example try f vs 1/m².

6. Oct 25, 2009 #5
    thanks a lot for your help. that is correct :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook