Wine Glass Resonance Frequency

In summary, Homework Statement Question 1: When analysing AP French's Formula for Frequency of Wine glasses, what is the direct relationship between the Frequency heard (at different levels - fd) and the level of water from the top of the glass (d)?Question 2: If you graph (f0/fd)2 on the x-axis and (1-(d/H*)4 on the y axis, is this relationship going to be linear or something else?If you let x = (1-(d/H*)4 andy = (f0/fd)2then if the other coefficients are constants, what do you get for your equation? Should be apparent if the relationship between
BobDylan22

Homework Statement

Question 1: When analysing AP French's Formula for Frequency of Wine glasses, what is the direct relationship between the Frequency heard (at different levels - fd) and the level of water from the top of the glass (d). I know that as the level of water from the glass decreases (meaning the water level is higher), the lower the frequency. However, is this relationship linear or quadratic, etc and why.

Question 2: If you graph (f0/fd)2 on the x-axis and (1-(d/H*)4 on the y axis, is this relationship going to be linear or something else.

Homework Equations

The equation is in the picture below and above (Link is http://imgur.com/a0pQVdN)
upload_2016-3-29_9-35-14.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the answer to question 1 is quadratic and the answer to question 2 is linear. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
(f0/fd)^2

Hi BobDylan22, Welcome to Physics Forums.

It's better to upload and insert in-thread any images that are critical to the problem. I've inserted a copy into your original post. I also fixed the equations in your text to make them easier to parse. Note that you can use the x2 and x2 icons in the editing panel to insert subscripts and superscripts for equations (or use LaTeX notation).

You'll need to provide more explanation for your attempt at a solution. Describe your thinking behind your conclusions in more detail.

BobDylan22 said:

Homework Statement

Question 1: When analysing AP French's Formula for Frequency of Wine glasses, what is the direct relationship between the Frequency heard (at different levels - fd) and the level of water from the top of the glass (d). I know that as the level of water from the glass decreases (meaning the water level is higher), the lower the frequency. However, is this relationship linear or quadratic, etc and why.

Question 2: If you graph (f0/fd)2 on the x-axis and (1-(d/H*)4 on the y axis, is this relationship going to be linear or something else.
If you let x = (1-(d/H*)4 and
y = (f0/fd)2
then if the other coefficients are constants, what do you get for your equation? Should be apparent if the relationship between y and x is linear or not.

Also, if you let y = (f0/fd) and
x = √{(1-(d/H*)4}, is that quadratic or not?

BTW it may interest you that a portion of the vibration has an inertial component, i.e. if you set up the vibration nodes at 0 and 180 degrees, then turn the glass say 90 degrees, the vibrations will follow the glass only about 2/3 of the way, i.e. ~60 deg. The so-called "Hemispherical Resonator Gyroscope (HRG)" is based on this phenomenon.

Cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemispherical_resonator_gyroscope#Advantages

rude man said:
If you let x = (1-(d/H*)4 and
y = (f0/fd)2
then if the other coefficients are constants, what do you get for your equation? Should be apparent if the relationship between y and x is linear or not.

Also, if you let y = (f0/fd) and
x = √{(1-(d/H*)4}, is that quadratic or not?

BTW it may interest you that a portion of the vibration has an inertial component, i.e. if you set up the vibration nodes at 0 and 180 degrees, then turn the glass say 90 degrees, the vibrations will follow the glass only about 2/3 of the way, i.e. ~60 deg. The so-called "Hemispherical Resonator Gyroscope (HRG)" is based on this phenomenon.

Cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemispherical_resonator_gyroscope#Advantages
I know that if you graph x = (1-(d/H*)4 and y = (f0/fd)2, you get a linear line,
but what if you graph fd and d?

BobDylan22 said:
I know that if you graph x = (1-(d/H*)4 and y = (f0/fd)2, you get a linear line,
but what if you graph fd and d?

OK, we've done question 2.

Question 1: let y = fd and x = d.
Then [f0/y]2 = 1 + a(1 - x/H)4
where a is the given constant.
In order for the relationship between y and x to be a quadratic, you have to be able to come up with constants α, β and γ such that
y = α + βx + γx2.
Considering just the binomial expansion of (1 - x/H)4, does that seem likely ?

rude man said:
OK, we've done question 2.

Question 1: let y = fd and x = d.
Then [f0/y]2 = 1 + a(1 - x/H)4
where a is the given constant.
In order for the relationship between y and x to be a quadratic, you have to be able to come up with constants α, β and γ such that
y = α + βx + γx2.
Considering just the binomial expansion of (1 - x/H)4, does that seem likely ?

Ok, but what I don't get is that as the distance from the top of glass to the top of water level decreases (becoming fuller), the frequency decreases. But this formula does not show that relationship. It shows the opposite.

BobDylan22 said:
Ok, but what I don't get is that as the distance from the top of glass to the top of water level decreases (becoming fuller), the frequency decreases. But this formula does not show that relationship. It shows the opposite.
Did you try plotting it just to get an idea of the shape of the curve? Assign some arbitrary values to the constants and plot fd versus d. Note that the way the given function is defined the fd is in the denominator on the left hand side. So if you rearrange to isolate it you'll get something of the form:

$$f(d) = \frac{f_o}{\sqrt{1 + a\left(1 - \frac{d}{h} \right)^4 }}$$
where fo, a, and h are chosen suitably.

I can't see how your spreadsheet does its calculations, but your results are certainly different from what I see plotting a function of the form I showed in my previous post. Here's a snip from a Mathcad worksheet:
upload_2016-3-30_22-5-25.png
The constants fo, a, and h were chosen arbitrarily just to get a feel for the form of the function.

gneill said:
I can't see how your spreadsheet does its calculations, but your results are certainly different from what I see plotting a function of the form I showed in my previous post. Here's a snip from a Mathcad worksheet:
View attachment 98231The constants fo, a, and h were chosen arbitrarily just to get a feel for the form of the function.
I was graphing fd and d

BobDylan22 said:
No way! As d goes down, f0/fd goes up but notice that fd is in the denominator on the left-hand side, so they both go down & up together.

rude man said:
No way! As d goes down, f0/fd goes up but notice that fd is in the denominator on the left-hand side, so they both go down & up together.
Fo will always be the same. As d decreases, that means that the level of water in the glass increases, meaning lower frequency.

BobDylan22 said:
Fo will always be the same. As d decreases, that means that the level of water in the glass increases, meaning lower frequency.
Right, contradicting your post #7!

No it doesn't. As the distance between the top of glass decreases (that means d decreases), which means the glass is more full, hence the frequency decreases.

rude man said:
Right, contradicting your post #7!
No it doesn't. As the distance between the top of glass decreases (that means d decreases), which means the glass is more full, hence the frequency decreases.

My last post on this thread: look again at your post 7. here is what you said: "Ok, but what I don't get is that as the distance from the top of glass to the top of water level decreases (becoming fuller), the frequency decreases. But this formula does not show that relationship. It shows the opposite."

The formula does NOT " ... show the opposite"!

rude man said:
My last post on this thread: look again at your post 7. here is what you said: "Ok, but what I don't get is that as the distance from the top of glass to the top of water level decreases (becoming fuller), the frequency decreases. But this formula does not show that relationship. It shows the opposite."

The formula does NOT " ... show the opposite"!
So you are saying that the formula shows the correct relation? Can you please show me

BobDylan22 said:
So you are saying that the formula shows the correct relation? Can you please show me
See my post 12. Read it carefully.

gneill said:
View attachment 98231The constants fo, a, and h were chosen arbitrarily just to get a feel for the form of the function.
Thankyou, but is the relationship quadratic?

BobDylan22 said:
Thankyou, but is the relationship quadratic?

Are you addressing your Question 2?

BobDylan22 said:

Just intuitively, disregarding the formula altogether - one would expect the frequency to increase as the water level rises. That's because the dry-glass part gets shorter. Typically if a taut string or whatever is shortened the frequency increases (Mersenne's law: one would think that tension and density don 't change much).

1. What is wine glass resonance frequency?

Wine glass resonance frequency is the natural frequency at which a wine glass vibrates when struck or exposed to a sound wave. It is caused by the glass's unique shape and thickness, and can vary depending on the type of glass and the amount of liquid inside.

2. How is wine glass resonance frequency measured?

Wine glass resonance frequency is typically measured using a frequency analyzer or a microphone and software that can detect the glass's vibrations. The glass is struck or exposed to a sound wave, and the resulting frequency is recorded.

3. Why is wine glass resonance frequency important?

Wine glass resonance frequency is important because it can affect the sound quality and pitch of music played near the glass. It can also be used to identify the quality and material of a wine glass, as higher quality glass tends to have a higher resonance frequency.

4. How does the amount of liquid in a wine glass affect its resonance frequency?

The amount of liquid in a wine glass can affect its resonance frequency due to the change in mass and weight distribution. The more liquid in the glass, the lower the resonance frequency will be. This is why a nearly empty wine glass will produce a higher pitched sound when struck compared to a full glass.

5. Can different types of wine glasses have different resonance frequencies?

Yes, different types of wine glasses can have different resonance frequencies due to variations in their shape, thickness, and material. Generally, thinner and taller glasses will have a higher resonance frequency, while thicker and shorter glasses will have a lower resonance frequency.