Protons, Photons, and ionic states of matter with one type

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
nuiluidwde
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Is it possible to impart heat to a cloud of protons via EM radiation? Photons usually interact with electrons, and I can't find much info on pure photon-proton interaction.

Also, if you took some hydrogen ions (protons, to be specific), could you form a state of matter, such as a liquid proton soup? What about with other ions, say Na+, or O2-?

I understand that normally, the charges would repel each other, but what about at extremely low or high temperatures? Could you prepare a proton superfluid in a lab, for example? What conditions would be necessary and what properties would they exhibit?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the large hadron collider. I believe it will go a long way to answering your questions.