1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove a polynomial is a submersion

1. Sep 23, 2009 #1

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a polynomial p(z) with complex coefficients, consider the map [itex] z \rightarrow p(z)[/itex] from the complex plane to the complex plane, where the complex plane is a manifold. Prove this is a submersion at all but finitely many points

2. Relevant equations
    A submersion is one where the derivative is surjective

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not really sure here.... I'm supposed to treat the complex plane as a 2 dimensional manifold right? In which case, how do I calculate the derivative of this map? It seems like taking partial derivatives of a complex polynomial is a terribly tedious and ineffective thing to do. Intuitively, it's obviously a submersion everywhere except where p'(z)=0, but I'm not sure how to treat the objects here in order to prove that

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The differential map of p(x) at x=a is dp(y)=p(a)+p'(a)*y, isn't it? Isn't that surjective unless p'(a)=0? I'm not sure what's confusing you. Why worry about explicit partial derivatives?

4. Sep 23, 2009 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, that's where my confusion is. In the course we're treating everything as a real manifold; that means that the complex plane is really R2. And p(z) is a map p(x,y) which happens to be easy to express in terms of complex numbers. But to "really" calculate the derivative of that map, I think I should have to calculate the partial derivative of the real part of p(z) with respect to x and y, and the partial derivative of the imaginary part of p(z) with respect to x and y, to show that it's surjective.

But now it occurs to me... p(z) is holomorphic! So if p(x,y) = U(x,y)+iV(x,y) then Ux = Vy and Uy = -Vx.

So the determinant of the matrix of partial derivatives is

Ux[/sup]2 + Uy[/sup]2 = Vx[/sup]2 + Vy2

So for that to be 0, all the partial derivatives must be 0, which means p'(z)=0. Hooray!

5. Sep 23, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, that's it in terms of partial derivatives. But you know the derivative map is surjective without even thinking hard if you know complex numbers, a linear map f(z)=a+bz maps the complex plane surjectively onto the complex plane if b is not zero. Because it's invertible. Just another way to think about it.

6. Sep 23, 2009 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know that, but I don't see a way to prove its derivative map is actually
    p(a) + p'(a)y

without looking at its partial derivatives (since we only have the partial derivative definition of derivative to work with at the moment)

7. Sep 23, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I sort of get that. But wouldn't it be strange if the complex derivative didn't coincide with the manifold derivative for an analytic function? There's really only one fundamental definition of a 'derivative'. I'm not suggesting you rewrite the proof or anything. The only thing is that a nonanalytic function might have a manifold derivative without having a complex derivative. But if it has both, they coincide. Just trying to say that your original notion that p'(z) not equal to 0 is a correct condition.

8. Sep 23, 2009 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook