Prove any three vectors of R^3 are linear independent

In summary, a set of three vectors in R3 is linearly independent if and only if it spans the space. It is also a basis for the space, as long as it satisfies all three properties: spanning the space, being linearly independent, and having the same number of vectors as the dimension of the space.
philipc
I was just wondering if I can make this statement, if I was to prove any three vectors of R^3 are linear independent, can I also say those three vectors span R^3?

Philip

Physics news on Phys.org
No; a set of vectors can be linearly independent without spanning a space, and a set of vectors can span a space without being linearly independent. A set of vectors that is both linearly independent and spans a space is a basis for that space.

- Warren

Yes Warren, but it isn't possible to have more than three linearly independant vectors in R3, therefore any set of three will span and be a basis.

I think you just lost the forest for the trees :wink:

Ok thanks for your help, can I ask one more, well maybe only one :biggrin:

I'm looking at my notes and kind of stuck with something,

Lets say I have the vectors [1,0] and [-1,1] and I'm asked what is the span?
so I have a[1,0] +b[-1,0] = [a-b,b] then it says this spans R^2 because [x,y] = [(x+y)-y,y] so x+y=a and y=b

not sure if I was sleeping during class and wrote the notes down wrong or what, but I'm not sure where the [x,y] = [(x+y)-y,y] came from?
Thanks again for your help
Philip

You've shown how to write any vector in R^2 as a combination of [1,0] and [-1,1], therefore is spans. [x,y] = (x+y)[1,0] + y[-1,1]

but it was not the work of me?

so is that saying I need to find values for a and b to make it = [x,y], and that can be any combo of x and y for the values of a and b? Sorry to sound so dumb, but not really sure if I'm getting it.
Philip

yep, you need to solve the vector equations a[1,0]+b[-1,1] = [x,y]

or splitting it into components

a-b=x
b=y

ie b=y, and a-y=x, a=x+y

OK now I see where it came from, thanks for the help.
Philip

Any basis for a vector space has three properties:

1. It spans the space
2. The vectors in it are linearly independent
3. The number of vectors in it is the same as the dimension of the space.

If any two of those are true, then the third is also true.

If you know that a set of three vectors in R3 is independent, then the must span the space.

(Strictly speaking, we define a basis as a set of vectors satisfying (1) and (2), show that any basis must have the same number of vectors and then define the dimension of the space to be that number.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Prove any three vectors of R^3 are linear independent

1. Can you explain what it means for three vectors in R^3 to be linearly independent?

Linear independence refers to the relationship between vectors in a vector space. In R^3, it means that the three vectors are not multiples of each other and cannot be written as a linear combination of each other. This means that none of the vectors can be expressed as a sum or difference of the other two vectors multiplied by a scalar.

2. How do you prove that three vectors in R^3 are linearly independent?

To prove linear independence, we need to show that the only solution to the equation a1v1 + a2v2 + a3v3 = 0 (where a1, a2, and a3 are scalars and v1, v2, and v3 are the three vectors) is a1 = a2 = a3 = 0. This can be done by setting up a system of equations and solving for the scalars.

3. Why is it important to prove that three vectors in R^3 are linearly independent?

Proving linear independence of vectors is important because it allows us to determine if a set of vectors can form a basis for a vector space. In other words, if a set of vectors is linearly independent, then we can use them to span the entire vector space and any vector in that space can be written as a linear combination of those vectors.

4. What happens if three vectors in R^3 are not linearly independent?

If three vectors in R^3 are not linearly independent, then it means that at least one of the vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the other two. This can lead to redundancy and inefficiency in operations involving those vectors.

5. Is there a shortcut or easier way to prove linear independence of three vectors in R^3?

There are a few shortcut methods that can be used to prove linear independence, such as using determinants or checking the rank of a matrix formed by the vectors. However, these methods may not always be applicable and the most reliable way to prove linear independence is by using the definition and solving for the scalars as mentioned in question 2.