1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove F isomorphic to the field of rational numbers

1. Aug 6, 2011 #1
    Sorry for so many questions. This is the second-to-last problem in the last homework.

I don't think I even understand the question. I know what a group isomorphism is. How does it relate to the field of quotients of ring E of all even integers. How do I show F is isomorphic to the field of rational numbers? What's the mapping from E to the rationals?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110806_121111.jpg?t=1312651137 [Broken]

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110806_121121.jpg?t=1312651148 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi shackleford! :smile:

So, we are dealing with the space F, which is the field of fractions of the even integers. So all elements in F have the form (a,b) with a,b even and with [itex]b\neq 0[/itex].

The first thing we'll have to do is to find the candidate isomorphism, then we have to prove that it is an isomorphism.

Now, we need an isomorphism. So we need to map each element (a,b) in F to a rational number. Do you see an easy way to make (a,b) into a rational number?

4. Aug 6, 2011 #3
    Is the work I wrote down correct so far?

I wrote down S as the set of all ordered pairs (a,b) with a and b from the set of all even integers.

I then wrote down Q as the quotient field of all equivalence classes of [a,b] with (a,b) from S.

So, I need to create a mapping that is isomorphic. Could I simply do the fraction (a,b) to a/b? What operations do I consider in determining if it's isomorphic?

5. Aug 6, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, so far it's all ok!

Yes, that is the required isomorphism. So, you need to show that the map is
    - well-defined (so, for example 2/4 gets sent to the same element as 4/8)
    - injective
    - surjective
    - f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)
    - f(xy)=f(x)f(y)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook