1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove f(x) = x^3 + 3^x is a one-to-one function.

1. Aug 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove f(x) = x^3 + 3^x is a one-to-one function.

2. The attempt at a solution

Sum of one-to-one functions is a one-to-one function (I think/dont know how to prove).
    x^3 is one-to-one, 3^x is one-to-one, thus f(x) is one-to-one. Surely there's a more rigorous proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2012 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Your attempt is wrong. f(x)=x is one-to-one, so is g(x)=1-x. But the sum f+g is not one-to-one.

Try to answer the following:
    If a function is NOT one-to-one, what do you know occasionally occurs with the function that cannot happen with a one-to-one function?

4. Aug 15, 2012 #3
    Two x values give the same y value. Are you suggesting I use the horizontal line test?

5. Aug 15, 2012 #4
    Hi quadreg, have you studied derivatives yet ?

Cheers...

6. Aug 15, 2012 #5
    Yes, I tried solving for critical points, but i get f'(x)=3x^2+(3^x)ln3 and can't solve for x where f'(x) = 0

7. Aug 15, 2012 #6
    You only have to prove that the derivative is either always >=0 or <=0 can you do that ?
    Cheers...

8. Aug 15, 2012 #7
    Ohh, that makes sense. 3x^2 is always >=0 and (3^x)ln3 is always >=0, so f'(x)>0.
    Thankyou.

9. Aug 15, 2012 #8
    Exactly, yo've got it :)

10. Aug 15, 2012 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Mod note: Moving this thread to Calculus & Beyond

11. Aug 15, 2012 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Almost. You have to be sure that if the derivative is allowed to be 0, it isn't zero on any interval. Of course, that isn't a problem in this example.

12. Aug 16, 2012 #11
    Yes, of course, LCKurtz, :) it's a good idea to point that out, thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook