Prove $\hat{A}+\hat{B}$ Commutator $\lambda$ Complex Number Relation

In summary, e^{\mu\left(\hat{A}+\hat{B}\right)}=e^{\mu\hat{A}}e^{\mu\hat{B}}e^{-\mu^{2}\frac{\lambda}{2}}.
kcirick
Question:
If [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{B}[/itex] are two operators such that [itex]\left[\hat{A},\hat{B}\right] = \lambda[/itex], where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a complex number, and if [itex]\mu[/itex] is a second complex number, prove that:

[tex] e^{\mu\left(\hat{A}+\hat{B}\right)}=e^{\mu\hat{A}}e^{\mu\hat{B}}e^{-\mu^{2}\frac{\lambda}{2}} [/tex]

What I have so far:
One can expand the exponential into power series:

[tex]e^{\mu\left(\hat{A}+\hat{B}\right)}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{\left(\mu\left(\hat{A}+\hat{B}\right)\right)^{n}}{n!}[/tex]

[tex]e^{\mu\hat{A}}e^{\mu\hat{B}}e^{-\mu^{2}\frac{\lambda}{2}}=\sum_{p,q,r=0}^{\infty}\frac{\mu^{p}\hat{A}^{p}}{p!}\frac{\mu^{q}\hat{B}^{q}}{q!}\frac{\left(-\frac{\mu^2}{2}\right)^{r}\left(\hat{A}\hat{B}-\hat{B}\hat{A}\right)^{r}}{r!} [/tex]

But I don't get any clues from expanding. So I went onto doing something different:

[tex]\left[\hat{A},\hat{B}\right]=\lambda \Rightarrow \left[\hat{A},\hat{B}\right]-\lambda=0[/tex]
[tex]\hat{A}\hat{B}=\hat{B}\hat{A}+\lambda[/tex]
[tex] \hat{B}\hat{A}=\hat{A}\hat{B}-\lambda[/tex]

[tex]\left(\hat{A}+\hat{B}\right)^{2}=\hat{A}^2+\hat{A}\hat{B}+\hat{B}\hat{A}+\hat{B}^2=\hat{A}^2+\hat{A}\hat{B}+\hat{A}\hat{B}-\lambda+\hat{B}^2=\left(\hat{A}^2+2\hat{A}\hat{B}+\hat{B}^2\right)-\lambda[/tex]

... then I proceeded to the power of 3, but I didn't get a pattern that I was hoping to get, so I don't know what I would get for power of n. Then I don't know what else to try. If any of you can help me out, It will get greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing out the first few terms for [itex]\mu, \mu^2, \mu^3 etc[/itex] for the sum

[tex]e^{\mu\hat{A}}e^{\mu\hat{B}}e^{-\mu^{2}\frac{\lambda}{2}}=\sum_{p,q,r=0}^{\infty}\frac{\mu^{p}\hat{A}^{p}}{p!}\frac{\mu^{q}\hat{B}^{q}}{q!}\frac{\left(-\frac{\mu^2}{2}\right)^{r}\left(\hat{A}\hat{B}-\hat{B}\hat{A}\right)^{r}}{r!} [/tex]

and then rearrange. Remember that p, q, and r are all independant of each other, so you can have p=1, q=r=0 etc. I think that should work.

Just use the Campbel-Baker-Hausorff formula.

Daniel.

Related to Prove $\hat{A}+\hat{B}$ Commutator $\lambda$ Complex Number Relation

1. What is a commutator in mathematics?

A commutator in mathematics is an operation that measures the extent to which two operations, A and B, do not commute. In other words, it measures how much the order of operations matters.

2. What does it mean to prove a commutator relation?

To prove a commutator relation, you must show that the commutator of two given operators, A and B, is equal to the specified complex number, lambda. This involves using mathematical techniques and properties to manipulate the operators and show that they satisfy the given relation.

3. How can the sum of two operators commute with a complex number?

The sum of two operators, A and B, can commute with a complex number, lambda, if the operators themselves commute or if they have a commutator relationship with lambda. This means that either A and B must commute, or the commutator of A and B must equal lambda.

4. What are some real-world applications of commutator relations?

Commutator relations have various applications in physics, specifically in quantum mechanics. They are used to describe the behavior of particles and systems in quantum mechanics, as well as to calculate important physical quantities such as energy and momentum. They are also used in signal processing and control theory.

5. Are there any other types of commutator relations besides the one mentioned in the question?

Yes, there are various types of commutator relations depending on the mathematical context. Some examples include Lie bracket, Poisson bracket, and commutator of matrices. Each type has its own specific properties and applications.