1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove increasing function defines everywhere is Rinemann-integrable

1. Nov 25, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is probably easy but i cant seem to see how to make it work right now.

I am trying to show that if we have a function f:R-->R that is increasing, then for any interval [a,b], it is riemann-integrable.

I know it's true because a book I saw refers to another book for the proof that an increasing fct as a countable number of discontinuities.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2007 #2
    If you know the proof of the fact that f is Riemann integrable iff it is continuous (lambda) almost everywhere then try to work it in...countable sets have 0 measure, of course.

Ie, suppose f is discontinuous on some non-null set and derive a contradiction.

4. Nov 25, 2007 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is this just an idea you're throwing at me, or do you know for a fact that it works?

(As a matter of fact, I have proven that very theorem in an earlier homework sheet for this course)

5. Nov 25, 2007 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It will work. Try it :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?