1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove lim na^n = 0 when 0 < a < 1

1. Aug 13, 2010 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove lim na^n = 0 when 0 < a < 1.

The attempt at a solution
    Without danger, we change from the discrete n to the continuous x so that now we have to prove that lim xa^x = 0. Let e > 0. We have to find an N such that xa^x < e for all x > N. Now if xa^x < e is the same as 1 < eb^x/x, where b = 1/a. Using L'Hospital's rule, we have that lim eb^x/x = lim e(ln b)b^x = oo, so there is an N such that 1 < eb^x/x. QED

Is this the simplest way to prove this limit. For some odd reason, I feel that there is a simpler solution. Any tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2010 #2
    Apply L'Hopital's rule in the limit [tex] \lim x.a^x [/tex] after writing [tex] x.a^x = \frac{x}{a^{-x}} [/tex].

4. Aug 13, 2010 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My first inclination is not to use calculus at all!

Let a < u < 1. Prove that, eventually, (n+1)/n < u/a. Then, an easy inductive proof shows that 0 < n a^n < C u^n for some constant C.

I suppose technically I've used some amount of calculus in that I invoke the Archimedean property, the squeeze theorem, and knowledge that u^n converges to 0.

Come to think of it, the inductive step isn't really going to be conceptually much different from taking a derivative or a logarithmic derivative. (Though the analogy might seem opaque if you're just learning this stuff)

5. Aug 13, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would do it by showing log(n*a^n)/n goes to log(a) using l'Hopital. Hence log(n*a^n) approaches -infinity.

6. Aug 14, 2010 #5
    Thank you for the suggestions. I'm a little rusty on this stuff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook