Prove only group homomorphism between Z5 and Z7 is the trivial one.

• Thread starter mahler1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary: Homework Statement .Prove that the only homomorphism between Z5 and Z7 is ψ(x)=0 (the trivial homomorphism).3. The Attempt at a Solution .I wanted to check if my solution is correct, so here it goes:Any element x in Z5 belongs to the set {0,1,2,3,4}So, I trivially start by saying that ψ(1)=ψ(1) and then, using the fact that ψ(x+y)=ψ(x)+ψ(y), I get:ψ(2)=ψ(1+1)=ψ(1)+
mahler1
1. Homework Statement .

Prove that the only homomorphism between Z5 and Z7 is ψ(x)=0 (the trivial homomorphism).

3. The Attempt at a Solution .

I wanted to check if my solution is correct, so here it goes:

Any element x in Z5 belongs to the set {0,1,2,3,4}

So, I trivially start by saying that ψ(1)=ψ(1) and then, using the fact that ψ(x+y)=ψ(x)+ψ(y), I get:
ψ(2)=ψ(1+1)=ψ(1)+ψ(1)=2ψ(1)
ψ(5)=ψ(1+1+1+1+1)=ψ(1)+ψ(1)+ψ(1)+ψ(1)+ψ(1)=5ψ(1)

But 5=0 (mod 5) and, as ψ is a homomorphism, it must be 0= ψ(0)=ψ(5).
By transitivity, 0=5ψ(1) (mod 7) but 5≠0 (mod 7), then ψ(1)=0. But ψ(x)=xψ(1)=0 for all x in Z5, hence Hom(Z5,Z7)=0.

Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
By transitivity, 0=5ψ(1) (mod 7) but 5≠0 (mod 7), then ψ(1)=0. But ψ(x)=xψ(1)=0 for all x in Z5, hence Hom(Z5,Z7)=0.

I think this last line needs to be spelled out a little more, essentially you have claimed that 5x = 0, and since 5 is not equal to 0 that x is equal to 0. There exist rings where you can multiply two nonzero numbers and get a zero, so you should probably explicitly prove that you're OK in Z7 unless this is something you've already done in your class

Likes 1 person
mahler1 said:
1. Homework Statement .

Prove that the only homomorphism between Z5 and Z7 is ψ(x)=0 (the trivial homomorphism).

3. The Attempt at a Solution .

I wanted to check if my solution is correct, so here it goes:

Any element x in Z5 belongs to the set {0,1,2,3,4}

So, I trivially start by saying that ψ(1)=ψ(1) and then, using the fact that ψ(x+y)=ψ(x)+ψ(y), I get:
ψ(2)=ψ(1+1)=ψ(1)+ψ(1)=2ψ(1)
ψ(5)=ψ(1+1+1+1+1)=ψ(1)+ψ(1)+ψ(1)+ψ(1)+ψ(1)=5ψ(1)

But 5=0 (mod 5) and, as ψ is a homomorphism, it must be 0= ψ(0)=ψ(5).

Hint : You need to use the fact that :

##gcd(|\mathbb{Z}_5|, |\mathbb{Z}_7|) = 1##

as well as Lagrange's theorem.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Office_Shredder said:
I think this last line needs to be spelled out a little more, essentially you have claimed that 5x = 0, and since 5 is not equal to 0 that x is equal to 0. There exist rings where you can multiply two nonzero numbers and get a zero, so you should probably explicitly prove that you're OK in Z7 unless this is something you've already done in your class

Yes, I see what you mean. If I am in Z6, 3≠0 (mod 6) but from 3x=0 (mod 6) I can't conclude that x=0 (mod 6) as any x even would satisfy 3x=0 (mod 6). In the original problem I could say x=0 (mod 7) just because gcm(5,7)=1. I am not so sure how to prove what I've claimed, I'll check it. Thanks.

prove: the only factorization of 5 as a product of a factor of 5 and a factor of 7 is 5.1.

1. What is a group homomorphism?

A group homomorphism is a function between two groups that preserves their algebraic structure. In other words, it maps the operations of one group onto the operations of another group in a consistent manner.

2. What does it mean for a group homomorphism to be "trivial"?

A trivial group homomorphism is one that maps all elements of one group to the identity element of the other group. In other words, it does not change the group structure in any meaningful way.

3. Why is it important to prove that the only group homomorphism between Z5 and Z7 is the trivial one?

This proof is important because it helps us understand the unique relationship between the two groups. It also allows us to make conclusions about the properties of the groups based on the behavior of their homomorphisms.

4. How is this proof carried out?

The proof involves showing that any non-trivial group homomorphism between Z5 and Z7 would lead to a contradiction. This is typically done using algebraic manipulations and logical reasoning.

5. What are the implications of this proof in other areas of mathematics?

This proof has implications in abstract algebra, number theory, and topology. It helps us understand the structure of groups and how they relate to one another. It also has applications in cryptography and coding theory.