1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove only group homomorphism between Z5 and Z7 is the trivial one.

1. Aug 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.

Prove that the only homomorphism between Z5 and Z7 is ψ(x)=0 (the trivial homomorphism).

3. The attempt at a solution.

I wanted to check if my solution is correct, so here it goes:

Any element x in Z5 belongs to the set {0,1,2,3,4}

So, I trivially start by saying that ψ(1)=ψ(1) and then, using the fact that ψ(x+y)=ψ(x)+ψ(y), I get:
    ψ(2)=ψ(1+1)=ψ(1)+ψ(1)=2ψ(1)
    ψ(5)=ψ(1+1+1+1+1)=ψ(1)+ψ(1)+ψ(1)+ψ(1)+ψ(1)=5ψ(1)

But 5=0 (mod 5) and, as ψ is a homomorphism, it must be 0= ψ(0)=ψ(5).
    By transitivity, 0=5ψ(1) (mod 7) but 5≠0 (mod 7), then ψ(1)=0. But ψ(x)=xψ(1)=0 for all x in Z5, hence Hom(Z5,Z7)=0.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think this last line needs to be spelled out a little more, essentially you have claimed that 5x = 0, and since 5 is not equal to 0 that x is equal to 0. There exist rings where you can multiply two nonzero numbers and get a zero, so you should probably explicitly prove that you're OK in Z7 unless this is something you've already done in your class

4. Aug 22, 2013 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Hint : You need to use the fact that :

##gcd(|\mathbb{Z}_5|, |\mathbb{Z}_7|) = 1##

as well as Lagrange's theorem.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  5. Aug 24, 2013 #4
    Yes, I see what you mean. If I am in Z6, 3≠0 (mod 6) but from 3x=0 (mod 6) I can't conclude that x=0 (mod 6) as any x even would satisfy 3x=0 (mod 6). In the original problem I could say x=0 (mod 7) just because gcm(5,7)=1. I am not so sure how to prove what I've claimed, I'll check it. Thanks.

6. Aug 25, 2013 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

prove: the only factorization of 5 as a product of a factor of 5 and a factor of 7 is 5.1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted