Prove: Set of rational numbers cannot be expressed as intersection of open sets

In summary: The set of rational numbers in (0,1) is not complete, right? I'm not sure how to use this...It's not a complete space, but it can be represented as the intersection of a countable collection of open sets.
azure kitsune

Homework Statement

Show that the set of rational numbers in the interval (0, 1) cannot be expressed as the intersection of a countable collection of open sets.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This sounds like something requiring proof by contradiction. There must be a property of [tex]\mathbb{Q} \cap (0,1)[/tex] that I need, but I can't think of any. Can someone give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
The property you are looking for, is most likely the fact that [itex]\mathbb{Q} \cap (0,1)[/itex] is dense in (0, 1).

In intuitive terms: if you want a rational number to be in your intersection [itex]\bigcap_{i \in \mathcal I} A_i[/itex] (with [itex]\mathcal I[/itex] some countable index set), you need an open interval containing it in every Ai. But every such interval also contains non-rationals. Since you can find a non-rational arbitrarily close to your rational number, you can never get rid of it.

CompuChip said:
The property you are looking for, is most likely the fact that [itex]\mathbb{Q} \cap (0,1)[/itex] is dense in (0, 1).

In intuitive terms: if you want a rational number to be in your intersection [itex]\bigcap_{i \in \mathcal I} A_i[/itex] (with [itex]\mathcal I[/itex] some countable index set), you need an open interval containing it in every Ai. But every such interval also contains non-rationals. Since you can find a non-rational arbitrarily close to your rational number, you can never get rid of it.

I don't think it's that simple. If A_i=(1/2-1/i,1/2+1/i) the intersection is {1/2}. No irrationals there.

Last edited:
azure kitsune said:

Homework Statement

Show that the set of rational numbers in the interval (0, 1) cannot be expressed as the intersection of a countable collection of open sets.
Should this be "an intersection of a countable collection of open intervals"?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This sounds like something requiring proof by contradiction. There must be a property of [tex]\mathbb{Q} \cap (0,1)[/tex] that I need, but I can't think of any. Can someone give me a hint?

Dick said:
I don't think it's that simple. If A_i=(1/2-1/i,1/2+1/i) the intersection is {1/2}. No irrationals there.

Hmm, I forgot about that. So my first idea would be that you can set
[tex]A_i = \bigcup_{q \in \mathbb{Q}} \left( (q - 1/i, 1/2 + 1/i ) \cap (0, 1) \right) [/tex]
and be done with it? But then probably, there is some catch like "an infinite union of opens is not necessarily open".

HallsofIvy said:

Isn't that impossible right away?
If you intersect (0, 1) with a proper subinterval S, I can immediately point out infinitely countably many rational numbers in its complement which are not in [itex](0, 1) \cap S[/itex].

I'll shut up now and let somebody answer who actually thought about this :)

@azure kitsune:

Do you know Baire's Theorem (also known as the Baire Category Theorem)?

CompuChip said:
[tex]A_i = \bigcup_{q \in \mathbb{Q}} \left( (q - 1/i, q + 1/i ) \cap (0, 1) \right) [/tex]
and be done with it?
It does look convincing, and I had to do a lot of searching to convince myself that it wouldn't work. (Edit: although with a bit more thought I realized [tex]A_i=(0,1)[/tex] for all i)
CompuChip said:
But then probably, there is some catch like "an infinite union of opens is not necessarily open".
No, any union of opens is open. The catch is that the intersection of your sets isn't the rationals - there are lots of irrationals that get in as well.

Last edited:
I think you can nail this with a measure argument. You have an intersection of open sets containing a dense subset, hence each of them is of full measure. In particular the complements have null measure

Office_Shredder said:
I think you can nail this with a measure argument. You have an intersection of open sets containing a dense subset, hence each of them is of full measure. In particular the complements have null measure

Now I don't think that's true either. Take an enumeration q_k of the rationals and let A_i be the union of all the open intervals (q_k-1/2^(i+k),q_k+1/2^(i+k)). An open set containing a dense set doesn't have to have full measure. Petek has the right clue. You should be thinking about the Baire Category Theorem.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for responding.

HallsofIvy said:

No, it is definitely "sets." The problem is copied directly from the textbook. (which is Apostol's Mathematical Analysis, chapter 3)

Petek said:
Do you know Baire's Theorem (also known as the Baire Category Theorem)?

No, I have never heard of it before, probably because I'm pretty new to analysis.

Wolfram MathWorld tells me that the Baire Category Theorem states:

"A nonempty complete metric space cannot be represented as the union of a countable family of nowhere dense subsets."

But the set of rational numbers in (0,1) is not complete, right? I'm not sure how to use this theorem.

Here's the version of the Baire Category Theorem that I had in mind:

If {[itex]H_k: k \in N[/itex]} is a countable family of closed subsets of R whose union contains a non-void open set, then at least one of the sets [itex]H_k[/itex] contains a non-void open set.

However, if this theorem hasn't been proved yet in your book, then the author must have some other solution in mind.

A direct proof would be to show that if A_k is a countable family of open sets whose intersection contains only the rationals then the intersection of the A_k must contain an uncountable number of points. That's a contradiction. Show you can assume the family is nested. Then the general idea is to show that for each of the open intervals in one of the sets A_i, there is an A_n n>i that contains at least two open intervals contained the original interval whose size is less than half the original interval. So the intervals split endlessly. There are an uncountable numbers of ways of following this splitting down to a limit point.

Last edited:
CompuChip said:
[tex]A_i = \bigcup_{q \in \mathbb{Q}} \left( (q - 1/i, 1/2 + 1/i ) \cap (0, 1) \right) [/tex]
and be done with it? But then probably, there is some catch like "an infinite union of opens is not necessarily open".
Isn't that impossible right away?
If you intersect (0, 1) with a proper subinterval S, I can immediately point out infinitely countably many rational numbers in its complement which are not in [itex](0, 1) \cap S[/itex].

I'll shut up now and let somebody answer who actually thought about this :)
Quite right, the infinite intersection of open sets need not be open, as opposed to closed sets whereas the infinite intersection of closed sets **is** closed.

Example:

A(n) = (-1/n, 1/n)

The infinite intersection as n goes from 1 to infinity is the point 0 and that is not open.

:)

This thread is over 2 years old. Please check the date of the thread before posting.

1. What is a rational number?

A rational number is a number that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, where the denominator is not equal to 0. Examples of rational numbers include 1/4, -3/7, and 2.

2. What does it mean for a set to be expressed as an intersection of open sets?

An intersection of open sets is a set of numbers that are common to all of the individual open sets. In other words, it is the set of numbers that are contained in all of the open sets being intersected.

3. Why can't the set of rational numbers be expressed as an intersection of open sets?

This is because the set of rational numbers is dense, meaning that between any two rational numbers, there is always another rational number. Therefore, no matter how small the open sets being intersected are, there will always be a rational number that is not included in the intersection.

4. Is there a proof for this statement?

Yes, there is a proof for this statement. It involves using the definition of open sets and rational numbers, as well as properties of real numbers, to show that it is impossible for the set of rational numbers to be expressed as an intersection of open sets.

5. Why is this statement important in mathematics?

This statement is important because it highlights the difference between rational and irrational numbers. It also demonstrates the density of rational numbers in the real number system. Additionally, it has implications in other areas of mathematics, such as topology and analysis.