1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove Square Root of 15 is Irrational

1. Aug 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove Square Root of 15 is Irrational

3. The attempt at a solution

Here's what I have. I believe it's valid, but I want confirmation.

As usual, for contradiction, assume 15.5=p/q, where p,q are coprime integers and q is non-zero.

Thus, 15q2 = 5*3*q2 = p2

Since 5 and 3 are prime, they must divide p. However, since the lcm(5,3) = 15, it must be the case that 15 divides p. Thus, p=15k for some k.

Then 15q2 = 15*15*k2, so q2=15k2. By the same argument, this implies 15 divides q.

However, we have reached a contradiction, since we assumed that p and q were coprime.

Is this a valid argument?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2012 #2
    If I understand the arguement correctly, it's saying...the square root of any prime number is necessarily irrational by definition of prime. Since sqrt(x*y)=sqrt(x)*sqrt(y), and since 5 and 3 are both prime, the square root of their product must be irrational. Makes sense to me.

4. Aug 23, 2012 #3
    Hmm, well one of my main questions is if it's valid to say that 15 divides p and q, with the lcm argument. Does that park make sense?

5. Aug 23, 2012 #4
    I think what you're saying is analogous to the arguement I suggested. In fancy mathematical jargon, there's an isomorphism between our arguements.

6. Aug 23, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, this is valid.

So you're saying that the product of irrational numbers is irrational?? Then what about [itex]\sqrt{2}\sqrt{2}[/itex]?

7. Aug 23, 2012 #6
    Hahaha, thanks for your help. The only reason I was confirming is that my professor essentially said what you said, and we're supposed to give another type of argument..

I just wanted to make sure that if 3 divides p and 5 divides p, 15 divides p. Lol, making sure I'm not making things up!

8. Aug 23, 2012 #7

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Yes. Try to do it separately for 3 and for 5, to show that 3|p and 5|p . Then

p=3t , p=5s , so 5s=3t . But, as you said , since gcd(3,5)=1, we must have 3|s, so

s=3q , so p=5(3q).

A more general result is that the square root of a rational number x is rational iff x is a perfect square.

9. Aug 23, 2012 #8
    Thanks again!

10. Aug 23, 2012 #9

Lol, good point! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook