Square root of a Mersenne Number is irrational

In summary, a user on math.se wanted to prove that any Mersenne number m = 2^n - 1 has an irrational square root for n > 1. Other posters used binary to prove this, but the user submitted a simple proof by contradiction using basic algebra. They assume that there exist integers a, b where gcd(a,b) = 1 and (a/b) = sqrt(2^n - 1), but arrive at a contradiction in all cases, showing that there is no such a, b.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

A user on math.se wanted to prove that any Mersenne number m = 2^n - 1 has an irrational square root for n > 1. So, it can be proved rather easily that any non-perfect square has an irrational root, and that all of the numbers to be considered are not perfect squares. However, the user requested a solution that did not use this idea, and that just focused on the Mersenne numbers themselves. I'm not sure why one would do this besides the challenge.

A few other posters proved this by using binary. I don't know anything about that. This discouraged me, as I submitted a simple proof by contradiction using just basic algebra. Can anyone tell me if my proof actually works?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume by way of contradiction that there exist integers a, b, such that gcd(a,b) = 1 and (a/b) = sqrt(2^n - 1).

Then
[itex]\frac{a^{2}}{b^{2}} = 2^{n} - 1[/itex]
[itex]\frac{a^{2}}{b^{2}} + 1 = 2^{n}[/itex]

Since 2^n is even, a^2/b^2 is odd.
Since the quotient a^2/b^2 is odd, either both a^2 and b^2 are even or both a^2 and b^2 are odd.

Case #1; a^2 and b^2 are both even.

Then, a is even and b is even.
Contradiction, gcd(a,b) = 1.

Case #2; a^2 and b^2 are both odd.

Then, a is odd and b is odd.
Let a = 2x + 1 and b = 2y + 1

[itex]\frac{a^{2}}{b^{2}} + 1 = 2^{n}[/itex]

[itex]a^{2} + b^{2} = 2^{n}b^{2}[/itex]

[itex](2x + 1)^{2} + (2y + 1)^{2} = 2^{n}b^{2}[/itex]

[itex]4x^{2} + 4x + 4y^{2} + 4y + 2 = 2^{n}b^{2}[/itex]

[itex]2(2x^{2} + 2x + 2y^{2} + 2y + 1) = 2^{n}b^{2}[/itex]

[itex]2x^{2} + 2x + 2y^{2} + 2y + 1 = 2^{n-1}b^{2}[/itex]

[itex]2(x^{2} + x + y^{2} + y) + 1 = 2^{n-1}b^{2}[/itex]

Contradiction; 2^(n-1) is even since n > 1, and b^2 is odd. Therefore since an odd times an even is always even, the RHS is even. The LHS is odd by definition.

The shows that a contradiction occurs in all cases, so there is no such a, b.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your proof looks valid to me.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the response. It was pretty fun to write, I'm glad it's ok.

1. What is a Mersenne number?

A Mersenne number is a number that is one less than a power of two, expressed in the form 2n-1, where n is a positive integer.

2. What is a square root of a Mersenne number?

A square root of a Mersenne number is a number that, when squared, results in the Mersenne number.

3. Why is the square root of a Mersenne number irrational?

The square root of a Mersenne number is irrational because it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. It is a non-repeating, non-terminating decimal.

4. How do we know that the square root of a Mersenne number is irrational?

This fact was first proven by the ancient Greek mathematician Euclid. Later, in the 18th century, the proof was generalized by mathematician Leonhard Euler using techniques from number theory.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding the irrationality of the square root of a Mersenne number?

Understanding the irrationality of the square root of a Mersenne number has applications in cryptography, as it can be used to generate large prime numbers. It is also important in number theory and can help in understanding the distribution of prime numbers.