1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that a fuction is continous and differentiable everywhere, but not at f'=0

1. Apr 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that the function f:ℝ→ℝ, given by

f(x)={x2sin(1/x) if x≠0, 0 if x=0}

is continous and differentiable everywhere, but that f' is not continuous at 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought if a function was differentiable everywhere then it was continuous everywhere?

If not what should I do??

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2012 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi charmedbeauty! :smile:

I guess this is exactly the counter example that shows that differentiability (even everywhere) does not imply continuity of the derivative.

What you would need to do is to check the definitions of continuity and differentiability.
    Do you have those handy?

I'll help you along.
    A function f is continuous at point c iff ##\lim\limits_{x \to c} f(x)=f(c)##.
    Does that hold for c=0 in your case?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  4. Apr 28, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Differentiability DOES imply continuity. f IS continuous. It's f' that is discontinuous.

5. Apr 28, 2012 #4
    f' exists for all values of x which implies that f is differentiable and hence f is continuous too
    f' not being continuous is a different matter

6. Apr 28, 2012 #5
    cos(1/x) is not continuous at x=0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook