Prove that a fuction is continous and differentiable everywhere, but not at f'=0

  • Thread starter Thread starter charmedbeauty
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Differentiable
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
charmedbeauty
Messages
266
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Prove that the function f:ℝ→ℝ, given by

f(x)={x2sin(1/x) if x≠0, 0 if x=0}

is continuous and differentiable everywhere, but that f' is not continuous at 0.



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I thought if a function was differentiable everywhere then it was continuous everywhere?

If not what should I do??
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi charmedbeauty! :smile:

I guess this is exactly the counter example that shows that differentiability (even everywhere) does not imply continuity of the derivative.

What you would need to do is to check the definitions of continuity and differentiability.
Do you have those handy?

I'll help you along.
A function f is continuous at point c iff ##\lim\limits_{x \to c} f(x)=f(c)##.
Does that hold for c=0 in your case?
 
Last edited:
Differentiability DOES imply continuity. f IS continuous. It's f' that is discontinuous.
 
f' exists for all values of x which implies that f is differentiable and hence f is continuous too
f' not being continuous is a different matter