1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that a sequence is eventually decreasing.

1. Feb 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that if a > 0, the sequence [tex]\frac{a^{n}}{n!}[/tex] is eventually decreasing for large n.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I'm to prove this by finding the index but I'm at a loss on how to find the index on such a sequence as I'm not used to using a variable that's in the sequence.

To warmup I was given a values 110 and 300 to find an index for but with 'a' being in the sequence itself I'm not sure how to do that.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2010 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Try showing that [itex]n! - a^n[/itex] is eventually increasing.

4. Feb 13, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The numerator and denominator are products of n terms but each term in the numerator is a while the terms in the denominator are increasing. The "average" value (geometric average since we are multiplying) in the denominator is [itex]\sqrt[n]{n!}[/itex]. Can you show that, for fixed a, there exist an integer, n, such that [itex]\sqrt[n]{n!}> a[/itex]?

5. Feb 14, 2010 #4
    I don't really follow.

6. Feb 14, 2010 #5
    try subtracting the n+1 term of the sequence from the nth term. if this quantitiy is less that zero the the sequence is decreasing. however you can factor out a to the power n. this is greater than zero so it doesn't matter. look at the other factor, if you choose a <N+1 you get the desired result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook