1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that a set is an open set

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that {(x,y)ℝ^2/1<x^2+y^2<7} is an open set.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

=(

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2012 #2
    Sometimes a picture helps me a lot with these kinds of problems, so let's try and see what this set looks like.

Well, we know that [itex]x^2 + y^2[/itex] is the points distance from the origin squared, so it should look something like a donut with outer radius [itex]\sqrt{7}[/itex] and inner radius [itex]1[/itex]. Also, since those are not equal, the boundaries there are not contained in this set.

There are a couple different definitions for open, but when talking about metric spaces, to say a set is open typically means that for any point in the set, you can find an open ball around that point that is contained within the set. So, if I were to give you a point [itex]\left( x, y \right)[/itex] in this donut, could you find a radius small enough such that a ball of that radius centered at that point was entirely contained in the donut?

4. Apr 19, 2012 #3
    I think r < min {√7-|(x,y)| ; |(x,y)| - 1} works.

I tried to separate the problem in two sets, because the intersection of two open sets is an open set, and proved that x^2+y^2<7 is open, but the method I used with that proof don't work with the set 1 < x^2 + y^2

5. Apr 19, 2012 #4
    That radius r is good. You may need to also prove that such an r > 0 exists for each (x, y) in the set, but that shouldn't be too bad.

Also, what method did you use to show that x^2 + y^2 < 7 is open?

6. Apr 19, 2012 #5
    if B(x,y) is an open ball with center (x,y) and radius r, i show that if (a,b) belongs to the ball B, then (a,b) belongs to the set, so a^2 + b^2 < 7

|(a,b)| = |(a,b) - (x,y) + (x,y)| = |(a-x, b-y) + (x,y)| ≤ |(a-x, b-y)| + |(x,y)|

|(a-x, b-y)| < r, so

|(a-x, b-y)| + |(x,y)| < r + |(x,y)|

r = √7 - |(x,y)|, so

r + |(x,y)| = √7 - |(x,y)| + |(x,y)| = √7

Finally, I get

|(a,b)| < √7

√(a^2 + b^2) < √7

a^2 + b^2 < 7

and that proves that if (a,b) is in the ball then (a,b) is in the set x^2 + y^2 < 7

7. Apr 19, 2012 #6
    Okay, well the proof that [itex]\left\{ \left( x, y \right) \in \mathbb{R}^{2} : x^{2} + y^{2} > 1 \right\}[/itex] should be similar.

Perhaps if you consider that [itex]\left| \left( x, y \right) \right| < \left| \left( x, y \right) - \left( a, b \right) + \left( a, b \right) \right|[/itex]. It's similar to what you were using before, but you're using the triangle inequality in a different order.

8. Apr 19, 2012 #7
    I solved it that way!! Thanks!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook