Prove that a triangle with lattice points cannot be equilateral

In summary, the conversation discusses the assumption of three points for a triangle with coordinates (a, c), (c, d), and (b, e), where a, b, c, d, and e are all integers. The conversation also mentions using the distance formula to set the distances between each point equal, but this leads to a contradiction and shows that the points do not form a triangle. The conversation also introduces the concept of a 2D lattice, where one of the lattice points can be set as (0,0) without losing generality. However, when using the formula for lattice points, it leads to a contradiction.
JoeAllen
I assumed three points for a triangle P1 = (a, c), P2 = (c, d), P3 = (b, e)

and of course:
a, b, c, d, e∈Z
Using the distance formula between each of the points and setting them equal:
\sqrt { (b - a)^2 + (e - d)^2 } = \sqrt { (c - a)^2 + (d - d)^2 } = \sqrt { (b - c)^2 + (e - d)^2 }(e+d)2 = (c-a)2 - (b-a)2
(e+d)2 = (c-a)2 - (b-c)2

c2 - 2ac - b2 +2ab = -2ac + a2 - b2 + 2bc
c2 + 2ab = a2 + 2bc
c(c - 2b) = a(a - 2b)

Thus, for this to be true, a = c. But in this example, the distance between a and c would be 0. Thus, not a triangle and certainly not an equilateral triangle.

Where did I go wrong here? I'm bored waiting for Calculus II in the Fall and I'm going through Courant's Differential and Integral Calculus on my free time until then (Fall term probably starting in August/September, so I'm not worried if it takes a few months to get comfortable with Courant - Calculus I has been a breeze since I already knew most of the content before taking it).

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
As for 2D lattice we can make one of the lattice points is (0,0) without losing generality.
Say other points are ##(n_1,n_2),(m_1,m_2)##
[tex]n_1^2+n_2^2=A[/tex]
[tex]m_1^2+m_2^2=A[/tex]
[tex](n_1-m_1)^2+(n_2-m_2)^2=A[/tex]
where A is square of the side length. You will find contradiction in this set of formla.

Likes JoeAllen

1. How do you define a triangle with lattice points?

A triangle with lattice points is a triangle whose vertices are all points with integer coordinates on a grid.

2. Why can't a triangle with lattice points be equilateral?

This is because the distance between any two lattice points is always a whole number, and in an equilateral triangle, all three sides must have the same length. It is impossible for three points with integer coordinates to form sides of equal length.

3. Can you provide an example of a triangle with lattice points that is not equilateral?

Sure, a triangle with lattice points can be formed by connecting the points (0,0), (3,0), and (1,2). This triangle has sides of length 3, 3, and 2, which are not all equal.

4. Is it possible for a triangle with lattice points to be isosceles or scalene?

Yes, it is possible for a triangle with lattice points to be isosceles or scalene. As long as the lengths of the sides do not require non-integer coordinates, any type of triangle can be formed with lattice points.

5. How can you prove that a triangle with lattice points cannot be equilateral?

A proof can be done by contradiction. Assume that a triangle with lattice points can be equilateral. This would mean that all three sides have the same length, which is impossible as explained in the answer to the second question. Therefore, the initial assumption is false and a triangle with lattice points cannot be equilateral.