1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that Planck function increases with temperature

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that the Planck function increases monotonically with temperature.

2. Relevant equations

Bv(T) = 2hv3c-2(ehv/kT - 1)-1

3. The attempt at a solution

I first went through this piece-by-piece, but I am not a mathematician so I don't know if this constitutes "proof"!

1) First consider ehv/kT and note that this function will decrease as T increases.

2) This means (ehv/kT - 1) will also decrease.

3) Therefore (ehv/kT - 1)-1 will increase with T.

4) The other elements are independant of T, so the Planck function will increase with T.

I also thought of taking the derivative with respect to T of the Planck function, to see if the gradient ever reached zero to indicate a stationary point. After doing a couple of substitutions, I got

dBv(T)/dT = 2h2v4c-2k-1(e-hv/kT + 1)-1

I'm not sure that is correct, and I think it tells me that gradient gets smaller as T increases. This doesn't help my argument much!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The above argument sounds good to me.
    That's not the correct result for the derivative. Ignoring the constants out front, you have

B = (x-1)-1 where x = ehv/kT.

Try using the chain rule: dB/dT = (dB/dx)##\cdot##(dx/dT)

4. Apr 14, 2013 #3
    Thanks TSny, I managed to compute the derivative correctly and that can also be put in terms of positive, increasing functions of T so I am sure that is adequate proof.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted