Thermodynamics with use of Zusammenstand and probability

In summary: If you can't recall them, I can provide a refresher.In summary, the probability of the nucleus with spin up is 1/3 at equilibrium. The energy estimate is in terms of εo, T et cetera. The value of the spin orientation is 1.
Zinggy

Homework Statement

Three-state system. The nucleus of the nitrogen isotope 14N acts, in some ways, like a spinning, oblate sphere of positive charge. The nucleus has a spin of lft and an equatorial bulge; the latter produces an electric quadrupole moment. Consider such a nucleus to be spatially fixed but free to take on various orientations relative to an external inhomogenous electric field (whose direction at the nucleus we take to be the z-axis). The nucleus has three energy eigenstates, each with a definite value for the projection sz of the spin along the field direction. The spin orientations and the associated energies are the following: spin up (sz = 1h), energy = £o; spin "sideways" (sz = 0), energy = 0; spin down (sz = -1h), energy = £o (again). Here £o denotes a small positive energy

h=Planks constant

a.)In thermal equilibrium at temperature T , what is the probability of finding the nucleus with spin up? In what limit would this be 1/3?
b.)Calculate the energy estimate (e) in terms of εo, T et cetera. Sketch (e) as a function of T
c.)What value does the estimate (sz) have? Give a qualitative reason for your numerical result.

Homework Equations

KT^2 δ/δT ln(z) Where z=Zusmenmenstand = e^s(Etot)

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) We attempted to solve the probability problem by using 1=Pup+Pside+Pdown=1/z(eszB/kt+e-szb/kt+e0b/kt
But we've only used this for magnetic moments in class before so we don't know how to translate to spin up probability.

b.)We're assuming energy estimate = expected energy, ∴ <E>=KT2∂/∂T ln(z)
Substituting in we get, <E>=KT21/KT ⇒ <E> = T Meaning for T it is a linear relationship? We also don't know where ε0 is coming from.
c.) <sz> = 1 because the sum of all probabilities must equal 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused by what you wrote. Using +,0,- to designate spin-up, spin-"side", and spin-down, respectively, is the energy
$$
E_+ = \epsilon_0, E_0 = 0, E_- = \epsilon_0
$$
(as in the problem statement) or
$$
E_+ = -\epsilon_0, E_0 = 0, E_- = \epsilon_0
$$
(as in your attempt)?

Also, it would help if you wrote down explicitly the partition function (which is how we call in English the Zusmenmenstand).

Edit: What is also needed is the formula for expected (average) values.

DrClaude said:
I'm confused by what you wrote. Using +,0,- to designate spin-up, spin-"side", and spin-down, respectively, is the energy
$$
E_+ = \epsilon_0, E_0 = 0, E_- = \epsilon_0
$$
(as in the problem statement) or
$$
E_+ = -\epsilon_0, E_0 = 0, E_- = \epsilon_0
$$
(as in your attempt)?

Also, it would help if you wrote down explicitly the partition function (which is how we call in English the Zusmenmenstand).

Edit: What is also needed is the formula for expected (average) values.

Sorry if anything is confusing, I'm not use to posting in this format. Here is the question verbatim
SmartSelect_20190220-115509_Gallery.jpg

My group and I are only assuming you have to use Zusmenmenstand because the lecture notes we have. Unfortunately this is all we're given.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20190220-115509_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20190220-115509_Gallery.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 542
Ok, that clears up my first question.

Zinggy said:
My group and I are only assuming you have to use Zusmenmenstand because the lecture notes we have. Unfortunately this is all we're given.
Yes, it is correct to use Z. But you must have seen the formulas for Z, for the probability of being in a given state, and for expected values?

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It studies how these factors affect the behavior of matter and the physical properties of systems.

2. What is Zusammenstand in thermodynamics?

Zusammenstand, also known as entropy, is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. It is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and is used to describe the tendency of a system to move towards equilibrium.

3. How is probability used in thermodynamics?

Probability is used in thermodynamics to describe the likelihood of a particular state or event occurring in a system. It is used in conjunction with Zusammenstand to calculate the overall change in entropy in a system.

4. What is the relationship between thermodynamics and energy?

Thermodynamics and energy are closely related, as thermodynamics studies the transfer and conversion of energy in a system. The laws of thermodynamics govern how energy can be transformed and used in different systems.

5. How does thermodynamics impact everyday life?

Thermodynamics has a significant impact on everyday life, as it explains many natural phenomena such as heat transfer, phase changes, and chemical reactions. It also plays a crucial role in the design and operation of various technologies, including engines, refrigerators, and power plants.