Prove that the functin is differentiable at (0, ,0).

In summary, we are given a function f from an open ball in R^n to R, and we are told that there exists an alpha greater than 1 such that the absolute value of f(x) is less than or equal to the norm of x to the power of alpha for all x in the ball. We need to prove that f is differentiable at 0 and consider what happens when alpha is equal to 1. The approach is to show that the first-order partial derivatives of f exist at 0 and are continuous at 0. Alternatively, we can work directly from the definition of the derivative.
michonamona

Homework Statement

Let r>0, and let f be a function from [tex]B_{r}(\textbf{0}) \rightarrow \textbf{R} [/tex], and suppose that there exists an [tex]\alpha > 1[/tex] such that [tex]|f(\textbf{x})| \leq ||\textbf{x}||^{\alpha} [/tex] for all [tex]\textbf{x} \in B_{r}(\textbf{0})[/tex]. Prove that f is differentiable at 0.

What happens to this result when [tex] \alpha = 1[/tex]?

Homework Equations

Note:

The characters in bold are vectors.

[tex]B_{r}(\textbf{0})[/tex] is an open ball in [tex]R^{n}[/tex] about 0

The symbol ||.|| represents the norm of the vector.

Some definitions of differentiability of a function

A function f from [tex]R \rightarrow R^{n} [/tex] is differentiable if

[tex]lim_{\textbf{h} \rightarrow \textbf{0}} \frac{f(\textbf{0} + \textbf{h}) - f(\textbf{0}) - Df(\textbf{a})(\textbf{h})}{||\textbf{h}||} = \textbf{0} [/tex].

Where [tex]Df(\textbf{a})[/tex] is the matrix of first order partials. In our case, since the function is from R to R^n, this would be the gradient of f.

The Attempt at a Solution

The started this problem by computing that the first order partials exists. But that by itself is not sufficient to concluded that f is differentiable at 0. The next step would be to show that the first-order partials of f are continuous at 0. This is where I got stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain what you are thinking about this problem?

LeonhardEuler said:
Can you explain what you are thinking about this problem?

Hi Euler,

Thank you for your reply.

There's a theorem in my textbook that says that if the first-order partial derivatives of a vector-valued function f exists at a, and if these first-order partial derivatives are continuous at a, then f is differentiable at a.

I know how to show the existence of the first-order partial derivatives of f at 0, but I'm having trouble proving that they are continuous at 0. Any insights?

I see how you are stuck. Have you thought about avoiding this theorem, and working directly from the definition of the derivative?

LeonhardEuler said:
I see how you are stuck. Have you thought about avoiding this theorem, and working directly from the definition of the derivative?

You mean using:

[tex]lim_{\textbf{h} \rightarrow \textbf{0}} \frac{f(\textbf{0} + \textbf{h}) - f(\textbf{0}) - Df(\textbf{a})(\textbf{h})}{||\textbf{h}||} = \textbf{0} [/tex].

directly?

yes.

1. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable at a point?

Differentiability is a mathematical concept that describes the smoothness of a function. A function is said to be differentiable at a point if it has a well-defined derivative at that point, which measures the rate of change of the function at that point.

2. How can I prove that a function is differentiable at a specific point?

To prove that a function is differentiable at a point, you need to show that the limit of the difference quotient (the change in the function's output divided by the change in its input) exists and is finite at that point. This is known as the definition of differentiability.

3. Why is it important to show that a function is differentiable at a point?

Differentiability is a fundamental property of functions and is essential in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, optimization, and differential equations. It allows us to make precise calculations and predictions about the behavior of a function.

4. Can a function be differentiable at a point but not continuous?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be differentiable at a point but not continuous. This can happen when the function has a sharp corner or a vertical tangent at that point, making it discontinuous. However, the function can still have a well-defined derivative at that point.

5. What is the difference between differentiability and continuity?

Continuity and differentiability are related but distinct concepts. A function is said to be continuous at a point if its limit exists at that point and is equal to the function's value at that point. On the other hand, differentiability requires the existence of a well-defined derivative at that point, which measures the function's rate of change at that point.