Constrained Optimization with the KKT Approach

In summary, the book "Deep Learning" explains how to minimize a function over a set with equality and inequality constraints. This is done by defining a generalized Lagrangian function and finding the minimum over the set by maximizing over Lagrange multipliers. By doing so, the minimum will be within the set and not violate the constraints. However, this method may require multiple iterations or a systematic search for the true minimum.
SilverSoldier
I'm reading the book Deep Learning by Ian Goodfellow, Yoshua Bengio, and Aaron Courville, and currently reading this chapter on numerical methods--specifically, the section on constrained optimization.

The book states the following.

Suppose we wish to minimize a function ##f\left(\textbf{x}\right)## over some set $$S=\left\{\textbf{x}\,|\,\forall\,i,g^{(i)}\left(\textbf{x}\right)=0,\,\forall\,j,h^{(j)}\left(\textbf{x}\right)\leq0\right\},$$ where ##g^{(i)}## and ##h^{(j)}## are functions called the equality constraints and inequality constraints respectively; i.e., we wish to find ##\displaystyle\min_{\textbf{x}\in S}f\left(\textbf{x}\right)##.

To do this, we start by defining a function ##L\left(\textbf{x}, \boldsymbol{\lambda}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\right)## called the generalized Lagrangian as follows; $$L\left(\textbf{x}, \boldsymbol{\lambda}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\right)=f\left(\textbf{x}\right)+\sum_i\lambda_i\cdot g^{(i)}\left(\textbf{x}\right)+\sum_j\alpha_j\cdot h^{(j)}\left(\textbf{x}\right).$$ Then, $$\min_{\textbf{x}\in S}f\left(\textbf{x}\right)=\min_{\textbf{x}}\max_{\boldsymbol{\lambda}}\max_{\boldsymbol{\alpha}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\geq0}L\left(\textbf{x}, \boldsymbol{\lambda}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\right).$$ The way I understand this is that we start by picking some random values for ##\textbf{x}## and ##\boldsymbol{\lambda}##, and then find the best non-negative ##\boldsymbol{\alpha}## for which ##L\left(\textbf{x}, \boldsymbol{\lambda}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\right)## is maximum.

Say the ##\textbf{x}## we picked randomly happened to lie in ##S##. Then we should end up at the result that ##\boldsymbol{\alpha}=\textbf{0}##.
It remains now to maximize ##L\left(\textbf{x}, \boldsymbol{\lambda}, \textbf{0}\right)## over ##\boldsymbol{\lambda}##, and the minimize the resulting function over ##\textbf{x}##. Again, because the ##\textbf{x}## we have picked randomly happens to lie in ##S##, ##L\left(\textbf{x}, \boldsymbol{\lambda}, \textbf{0}\right)## is already maximum for any ##\boldsymbol{\lambda}##, because ##\forall\,i, g^{(i)}\left(\textbf{x}\right)=0##.

Therefore, in such a case where the ##\textbf{x}## we pick randomly just so happens to lie in ##S##, we see that $$\max_{\boldsymbol{\lambda}}\max_{\boldsymbol{\alpha}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\geq0}L\left(\textbf{x}, \boldsymbol{\lambda}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\right)=f\left(\textbf{x}\right).$$ What I do not understand is how minimizing ##\displaystyle\max_{\boldsymbol{\lambda}}\max_{\boldsymbol{\alpha}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\geq0}L\left(\textbf{x}, \boldsymbol{\lambda}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\right)=f\left(\textbf{x}\right)## over ##\textbf{x}## now will keep ##\textbf{x}## within ##S##, and find a minimum in this constrained region.

If $$\max_{\boldsymbol{\lambda}}\max_{\boldsymbol{\alpha}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\geq0}L\left(\textbf{x}, \boldsymbol{\lambda}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\right)=f\left(\textbf{x}\right),$$ mustn't we have $$\min_{\textbf{x}}\max_{\boldsymbol{\lambda}}\max_{\boldsymbol{\alpha}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\geq0}L\left(\textbf{x}, \boldsymbol{\lambda}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\right)=\min_{\textbf{x}}f\left(\textbf{x}\right),$$ which is different from ##\displaystyle\min_{\textbf{x}\in S}f\left(\textbf{x}\right)##?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
SilverSoldier said:
It remains now to ..... minimize the resulting function over ##\textbf{x}##. .....

SilverSoldier said:
mustn't we have $$\min_{\textbf{x}}\max_{\boldsymbol{\lambda}}\max_{\boldsymbol{\alpha}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\geq0}L\left(\textbf{x}, \boldsymbol{\lambda}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\right)=\min_{\textbf{x}}f\left(\textbf{x}\right),$$ which is different from ##\displaystyle\min_{\textbf{x}\in S}f\left(\textbf{x}\right)##?
Yes. You already said that you need to minimize over ##\textbf{x}##. If ##\textbf{x}## was picked randomly, then you would have to repeat this process enough to feel confident that you have found a minimum over ##\textbf{x}##, or do a methodical search for the minimum.

FactChecker said:
Yes. You already said that you need to minimize over ##\textbf{x}##. If ##\textbf{x}## was picked randomly, then you would have to repeat this process enough to feel confident that you have found a minimum over ##\textbf{x}##, or do a methodical search for the minimum.
But it is necessary to find the minimum over values in ##S## only. How does an unconstrained minimization of ##f## over all values of ##\textbf{x}## result in its minimum over values in ##S##? :confused:

SilverSoldier said:
But it is necessary to find the minimum over values in ##S## only. How does an unconstrained minimization of ##f## over all values of ##\textbf{x}## result in its minimum over values in ##S##? :confused:
Oh, I am sorry. I missed the point. By maximizing over ##\lambda_x## and ##\alpha_x \ge 0## for any given ##x##, you are finding the multipliers that provide the best penalty for violating the constraints of ##g## and ##h##. So that forces the minimization over ##x## to stay within ##S##.

UPDATE: After thinking more about this, I do not feel I am knowledgeable enough to give authoritative help here. I will leave this to others.

Last edited:
I think fact checker has it. If you pick a value of x for which ##g^i(x)>0## you can pick ##\lambda_i>>>0## and ##L## is very positive. Similarly if ##g^i(x) <0## you can pick ##\lambda_i<<<<0##. So ##g^i(x)=0## when you minimize ##L##.

But for the inequality constraints you only get ##h^i(x)\leq0## since otherwise we make ##\alpha^i>>>>0##

Likes FactChecker
I'm sorry I still don't understand it and I am quite confused. Shouldn't we have ##\displaystyle\min_{\textbf{x}\in S}f\left(\textbf{x}\right)=\max_{\boldsymbol{\lambda}}\max_{\boldsymbol{\alpha}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\geq0}\min_{\textbf{x}}L\left(\textbf{x}, \boldsymbol{\lambda}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\right)## or ##\displaystyle\min_{\textbf{x}\in S}f\left(\textbf{x}\right)=\max_{\boldsymbol{\alpha}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\geq0}\max_{\boldsymbol{\lambda}}\min_{\textbf{x}}L\left(\textbf{x}, \boldsymbol{\lambda}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\right)## instead?

Say we wanted to find the minimum of ##\dfrac{x^2+y^2}{5}## subject to the constraints ##x^2+y-2\leq0## and ##10x-y-22=0##. The actual minimum, which is ##1.6## given these constraints, is achieved at ##x=2## and ##y=-2##. To find this minimum using the KKT approach, we first define the generalized Lagrangian, as follows; $$\dfrac{x^2+y^2}{5}+\lambda\left(10x-y-22\right)+\alpha\left(x^2+y-2\right).$$ Say we start by picking ##\left(1.8, -4\right)## randomly for ##\left(x,y\right)##. Notice ##\left(1.8, -4\right)## satisfies both constraints and so ##\displaystyle\max_{\boldsymbol{\lambda}}\max_{\boldsymbol{\alpha}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\geq0}L\left(\textbf{x}, \boldsymbol{\lambda}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\right)=f\left(1.8, -4\right)=3.85##. What does it now mean to minimize this? Does this mean we now vary ##x## and ##y## until we look for values that minimize ##\dfrac{x^2+y^2}{5}##?

Can you also please describe how this approach may be implemented in code?

I think you're thinking about the ordering wrong. The first thing is min over x. So you can imagine having some function ##K(x)## that e are trying to minimize. That function is max over ##\lambda##, max over ##\alpha##, ##L(x,\lambda, \alpha)##. So the ordering in the OP says for each ##x##, pick the worst choice of ##\lambda## and ##\alpha## to compute ##K(x)##. Then find the ##x## that makes this as small as possible.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
SilverSoldier said:
I'm sorry I still don't understand it and I am quite confused. Shouldn't we have ##\displaystyle\min_{\textbf{x}\in S}f\left(\textbf{x}\right)=\max_{\boldsymbol{\lambda}}\max_{\boldsymbol{\alpha}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\geq0}\min_{\textbf{x}}L\left(\textbf{x}, \boldsymbol{\lambda}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\right)## or ##\displaystyle\min_{\textbf{x}\in S}f\left(\textbf{x}\right)=\max_{\boldsymbol{\alpha}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\geq0}\max_{\boldsymbol{\lambda}}\min_{\textbf{x}}L\left(\textbf{x}, \boldsymbol{\lambda}, \boldsymbol{\alpha}\right)## instead?
If the first thing you do is minimize wrt ##x## then you are already too late to try to keep ##x## within ##S##. The first thing you must do is to maximize wrt ##\lambda## and ##\alpha## to force ##x## to stay within ##S##.

1. What is the KKT approach in constrained optimization?

The KKT (Karush-Kuhn-Tucker) approach is a method used in constrained optimization to find the optimal solution for a problem with constraints. It involves using a set of equations, called the KKT conditions, to determine the optimal values of the decision variables that satisfy both the objective function and the constraints.

2. What are the KKT conditions?

The KKT conditions are a set of equations that must be satisfied for a solution to be optimal in constrained optimization. They consist of the gradient of the objective function, the gradients of the constraint functions, and a set of Lagrange multipliers, which are used to incorporate the constraints into the optimization problem.

3. How does the KKT approach differ from other optimization methods?

The KKT approach differs from other optimization methods in that it takes into account both the objective function and the constraints simultaneously. This allows for more accurate and efficient optimization, as it considers the trade-offs between maximizing the objective function and satisfying the constraints.

4. What are the advantages of using the KKT approach?

One advantage of using the KKT approach is that it can handle a wide range of constraints, including both equality and inequality constraints. Additionally, it can handle non-linear and non-convex problems, making it a versatile method for constrained optimization.

5. What are some applications of the KKT approach?

The KKT approach has many applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and finance. It can be used to solve problems in production planning, portfolio optimization, and resource allocation, among others. It is also commonly used in machine learning and data science for feature selection and model optimization.