Function whose 2nd order divergence is the Dirac Delta

In summary, the Green's function for the Poisson's equation can be found by solving the equation \nabla^2 \cdot G(\textbf{r}, \textbf{r}') = \delta(\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}') with the boundary condition |G| \rightarrow 0 when |\textbf{r}| \rightarrow 0. The tutorial referenced provides the solution G(\textbf{r}, \textbf{r}') = -\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{1}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|}, but it is not necessarily the only solution. The general form of the Green's function involves an additional function
genxium

Homework Statement

This problem came when I was learning the Poisson's equation (refer to http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node31.html). when it came to the step to find the Green's function [itex]G[/itex] which satisfies [itex]\nabla^2 \cdot G(\textbf{r}, \textbf{r}') = \delta(\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}')[/itex] with [itex]|G| \rightarrow 0[/itex] when [itex]|\textbf{r}| \rightarrow 0[/itex], the tutorial I refer to simply yields [itex]G(\textbf{r}, \textbf{r}') = -\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{1}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|}[/itex].

I understand that [itex]\int_{V} \nabla^2 \cdot \frac{1}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|} dV= \int_{S=\partial V} \nabla \cdot \frac{1}{|\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'|} \cdot d\textbf{S} = \int_{S=\partial V} -\frac{\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'}{|\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'|^3} \cdot d\textbf{S} = -4\pi[/itex], by assuming that [itex]V[/itex] is a unit sphere located at [itex]\textbf{r}'[/itex]. Thus [itex]G(\textbf{r}, \textbf{r}') = -\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{1}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|}[/itex] COULD BE ONE SOLUTION to the equation, but what about proof of the uniqueness? Is this the only solution to the equation [itex]\nabla^2 \cdot G(\textbf{r}, \textbf{r}') = \delta(\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}')[/itex] with [itex]|G| \rightarrow 0[/itex] when [itex]|\textbf{r}| \rightarrow 0[/itex]?

Homework Equations

[tex]\textbf{r} = x \cdot \textbf{i} + y \cdot \textbf{j} + z \cdot \textbf{k}[/tex]
[tex]\textbf{r}' = x' \cdot \textbf{i} + y' \cdot \textbf{j} + z' \cdot \textbf{k}[/tex]
[tex]\nabla = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \cdot \textbf{i} + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} \cdot \textbf{j} + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \cdot \textbf{k}[/tex]
[tex]\delta(\textbf{r}) = \delta(x) \cdot \delta(y) \cdot \delta(z)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Stated above.

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I recall the Green's function of the Laplace operator is not unique, and it's most general form would be ##G(r,r ′ )=−\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{1}{|r−r ′|} + F(r,r')## such that ##F(r,r')## satisfies ##\nabla^2F(r,r') = 0##. Depending on the type of boundary conditions, symmetry, etc, ##F(r,r')## can be chosen to simplify the problem. I'm pretty rusty with my Green's functions though so if I'm mistaken someone please correct me.

@Miles, yes you are right that the general equation is not guaranteed a unique solution. However I am bad at differential equations such that even given the boundary condition [itex]|G| \rightarrow \infty[/itex] when [itex]|\textbf{r}| \rightarrow 0[/itex], I can't figure out the answer to my question :(

1. What is a function whose 2nd order divergence is the Dirac Delta?

A function whose 2nd order divergence is the Dirac Delta is a mathematical function that has a 2nd order spatial derivative that is equal to the Dirac Delta function. This means that the function has a non-zero value only at a single point, and is zero everywhere else.

2. What is the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function that is defined as zero for all values of x except at x = 0, where it has an infinite value. It is often used to represent a point source or a point charge in physics and engineering applications.

3. What is the significance of a function whose 2nd order divergence is the Dirac Delta?

A function whose 2nd order divergence is the Dirac Delta has many applications in physics and engineering. It can be used to model point sources, such as electric charges or gravitational masses, and can also be used to solve certain differential equations that arise in these fields.

4. Can a function whose 2nd order divergence is the Dirac Delta be visualized graphically?

No, it is not possible to graphically represent a function whose 2nd order divergence is the Dirac Delta, as it is only defined at a single point and has an infinite value at that point. However, it can be represented mathematically and used in calculations and simulations.

5. Are there any real-world examples of functions whose 2nd order divergence is the Dirac Delta?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of functions whose 2nd order divergence is the Dirac Delta. One common example is the electric field around a point charge, which can be modeled using the Dirac Delta function. Other examples include the gravitational field around a point mass and the concentration of a chemical substance at a single point in a solution.