1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function whose 2nd order divergence is the Dirac Delta

1. Nov 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This problem came when I was learning the Poisson's equation (refer to http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node31.html). when it came to the step to find the Green's function [itex]G[/itex] which satisfies [itex]\nabla^2 \cdot G(\textbf{r}, \textbf{r}') = \delta(\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}')[/itex] with [itex]|G| \rightarrow 0[/itex] when [itex]|\textbf{r}| \rightarrow 0[/itex], the tutorial I refer to simply yields [itex]G(\textbf{r}, \textbf{r}') = -\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{1}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|}[/itex].

I understand that [itex]\int_{V} \nabla^2 \cdot \frac{1}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|} dV= \int_{S=\partial V} \nabla \cdot \frac{1}{|\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'|} \cdot d\textbf{S} = \int_{S=\partial V} -\frac{\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'}{|\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'|^3} \cdot d\textbf{S} = -4\pi[/itex], by assuming that [itex]V[/itex] is a unit sphere located at [itex]\textbf{r}'[/itex]. Thus [itex]G(\textbf{r}, \textbf{r}') = -\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{1}{|\textbf{r} - \textbf{r}'|}[/itex] COULD BE ONE SOLUTION to the equation, but what about proof of the uniqueness? Is this the only solution to the equation [itex]\nabla^2 \cdot G(\textbf{r}, \textbf{r}') = \delta(\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}')[/itex] with [itex]|G| \rightarrow 0[/itex] when [itex]|\textbf{r}| \rightarrow 0[/itex]?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\textbf{r} = x \cdot \textbf{i} + y \cdot \textbf{j} + z \cdot \textbf{k}[/tex]
    [tex]\textbf{r}' = x' \cdot \textbf{i} + y' \cdot \textbf{j} + z' \cdot \textbf{k}[/tex]
    [tex]\nabla = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \cdot \textbf{i} + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} \cdot \textbf{j} + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \cdot \textbf{k}[/tex]
    [tex]\delta(\textbf{r}) = \delta(x) \cdot \delta(y) \cdot \delta(z)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Stated above.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2014 #2
    From what I recall the Green's function of the Laplace operator is not unique, and it's most general form would be ##G(r,r ′ )=−\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{1}{|r−r ′|} + F(r,r')## such that ##F(r,r')## satisfies ##\nabla^2F(r,r') = 0##. Depending on the type of boundary conditions, symmetry, etc, ##F(r,r')## can be chosen to simplify the problem. I'm pretty rusty with my Green's functions though so if I'm mistaken someone please correct me.

4. Nov 26, 2014 #3
    @Miles, yes you are right that the general equation is not guaranteed a unique solution. However I am bad at differential equations such that even given the boundary condition [itex]|G| \rightarrow \infty[/itex] when [itex]|\textbf{r}| \rightarrow 0[/itex], I can't figure out the answer to my question :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted