Prove that the order of 5 modulo 2^k is 2^(k-2)

In summary, Induction will work. Try to use the fact that $a \equiv b \pmod{n} ~ \iff ~ a = b + kn$ for some $k \in \mathbb{Z}$. Applying this to the congruences obtained by the knowledge that $5$ has order $2^{k - 2}$ modulo $2^k$, you can derive equivalent congruences modulo $2^{k + 1}$ (hint: square both sides) and can then conclude.Remember that $a$ has order $m$ modulo $n$ if and only if $m$ is the smallest positive integer such that $a^m \equiv 1 \pmod{n}$, so make
Fermat1
Prove that the order of 5 modulo $2^k$ is $2^{k-2}$ where $k$ is at least 3.
I thought probably induction is best bet.

For k=3 we can verify.

So for inductive step we need to show the order of 5 modulo $2^{k+1}$ is $2^{k-1}.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Fermat said:
Prove that the order of 5 modulo $2^k$ is $2^{k-2}$ where $k$ is at least 3.
I thought probably induction is best bet.

For k=3 we can verify.

So for inductive step we need to show the order of 5 modulo $2^{k+1}$ is $2^{k-1}.

Induction will work. Try to use the fact that $a \equiv b \pmod{n} ~ \iff ~ a = b + kn$ for some $k \in \mathbb{Z}$. Applying this to the congruences obtained by the knowledge that $5$ has order $2^{k - 2}$ modulo $2^k$, you can derive equivalent congruences modulo $2^{k + 1}$ (hint: square both sides) and can then conclude.

Remember that $a$ has order $m$ modulo $n$ if and only if $m$ is the smallest positive integer such that $a^m \equiv 1 \pmod{n}$, so make sure you prove this carries over modulo $2^{k + 1}$, i.e. make sure show that the order of $5$ modulo $2^{k + 1}$ is exactly $2^{k - 1}$. Be rigorous.

Bacterius said:
Induction will work. Try to use the fact that $a \equiv b \pmod{n} ~ \iff ~ a = b + kn$ for some $k \in \mathbb{Z}$. Applying this to the congruences obtained by the knowledge that $5$ has order $2^{k - 2}$ modulo $2^k$, you can derive equivalent congruences modulo $2^{k + 1}$ (hint: square both sides) and can then conclude.

Remember that $a$ has order $m$ modulo $n$ if and only if $m$ is the smallest positive integer such that $a^m \equiv 1 \pmod{n}$, so make sure you prove this carries over modulo $2^{k + 1}$, i.e. make sure show that the order of $5$ modulo $2^{k + 1}$ is exactly $2^{k - 1}$. Be rigorous.

I got $5^{2^{k-1}}=5^2^{k-2}5^2^{k-2}$ mod($2^k$) but how do I get it mod $2^{k+1}$?

Also how to prove it is the smallest?

Bacterius said:

sorry i can't get my code to work. Hopefully you can work it out

$$5^{2^{k-1}} = 5^{2^{k-2} \cdot 2} = \left ( 5^{2^{k-2}} \right)^2$$

What is $5^{2^{k-2}}$ modulo $2^k$ by hypothesis? Write it up as $5^{2^k} = a + b \cdot 2^k$. Substitute in above. What do you get?

mathbalarka said:
$$5^{2^{k-1}} = 5^{2^{k-2} \cdot 2} = \left ( 5^{2^{k-2}} \right)^2$$

What is $5^{2^{k-2}}$ modulo $2^k$ by hypothesis? Write it up as $5^{2^k} = a + b \cdot 2^k$. Substitute in above. What do you get?

yes I get about the inductive hypothesis but how do I move to mod $2^{k+1}$?

Did you even try out what I suggested?

$$5^{2^{k-1}} = \left ( 5^{2^{k-2}} \right) = \left ( 1 + 2^k \cdot l \right )^2 = 1 + 2^{k+1} \cdot l + 2^{2k} \cdot l^2$$

Which is 1 modulo $2^{k+1}$. I'd prefer you to carefully read over suggestions before asking questions. It's better to figure stuff out by yourself rather than asking people to do it for you :)

mathbalarka said:
Did you even try out what I suggested?

$$5^{2^{k-1}} = \left ( 5^{2^{k-2}} \right) = \left ( 1 + 2^k \cdot l \right )^2 = 1 + 2^{k+1} \cdot l + 2^{2k} \cdot l^2$$

Which is 1 modulo $2^{k+1}$. I'd prefer you to carefully read over suggestions before asking questions. It's better to figure stuff out by yourself rather than asking people to do it for you :)

ok thanks, I've now shown that. I'm struggling to show that it is in fact the order. I assume that $5^{2^{k-1}}=1+am$ for some $m$ less than $5^{2^{k+1}}$ and try and get a contradiction but I'm stuck trying that

Fermat said:
ok thanks, I've now shown that. I'm struggling to show that it is in fact the order. I assume that $5^{2^{k-1}}=1+am$ for some $m$ less than $5^{2^{k+1}}$ and try and get a contradiction but I'm stuck trying that

Hi Fermat,

I suggest showing (by induction on $k$) that $5^{2^{k-3}} \equiv 1 + 2^{k-1} \pmod{2^k}$ for all $k \ge 3$. In particular, this justifies $5^{2^{k-3}} \not\equiv 1 \pmod{2^k}$ for all $k \ge 3$. Assuming this assertion, if $k\ge 3$,

\(\displaystyle 5^{2^{k-2}} = (5^{2^{k-3}})^2 \equiv (1 + 2^{k-1})^2\pmod{2^k} = 1 + 2^k + 2^{2k-2}\pmod{2^k} = 1 \pmod{2^k}.\)

The last congruence follows since $2k - 2 \ge k + 1$ for $k \ge 3$. Therefore, $5$ has order $2^{k-2}$ modulo $2^k$ for all $k\ge 3$.

Related to Prove that the order of 5 modulo 2^k is 2^(k-2)

1. What is a primitive root?

A primitive root is an integer that, when raised to successive powers, generates all of the integers relatively prime to a given modulus. In simpler terms, it is a number that has a specific relationship with a modulus, allowing it to generate all other numbers within that modulus through exponentiation.

2. How do you prove that a number is a primitive root?

The most common method for proving that a number is a primitive root involves using Euler's totient function. This function calculates the number of positive integers that are relatively prime to a given modulus. If a number is a primitive root, then its exponent must be equal to the totient of the modulus. This can be checked by raising the number to various powers and ensuring that they generate all of the integers relatively prime to the modulus.

3. Can any number be a primitive root?

No, not every number can be a primitive root. For a number to be a primitive root, it must be relatively prime to the modulus and have a specific relationship with the totient of the modulus. Additionally, not all numbers have a primitive root. For example, numbers with prime powers as their modulus do not have primitive roots.

4. What is the significance of primitive roots in number theory?

Primitive roots have many applications in number theory, including cryptography, primality testing, and generating random numbers. They also have connections to other important mathematical concepts, such as the discrete logarithm problem and the Chinese remainder theorem.

5. Is there a formula for finding primitive roots?

There is no known formula for finding primitive roots. However, there are some methods for finding them, such as using trial and error or using quadratic residues. Additionally, there are some special cases where the primitive root can be easily calculated, such as when the modulus is a prime number or a power of 2.