Prove that the square root of 3 is not rational

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
chocolatelover
Messages
238
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Show that the square root of 3 is not rational


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



A number is irrational if χ is not ε. Q=p/q: p, q ε z and q is not=0, z=integers

If p/q: p, q is not ε or q=0, then square 3 is rational. If p=square root of 3 and q is not ε, then the square root of 3 cannot be rational.

Could someone please tell me if this is correct and if not show me what I need to do?

Thank you very much
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is your [tex]\epsilon[/tex]?
Do you know how to show that [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is irrational?
 
x ε is "x is an element of x" Yes, I do.

Thank you very much

Now I know how to do it

Regards