1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that the third invariant is equal to the determinant

1. Sep 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is all in summation notation.
    Given a 3x3 matrix [tex]A_{ij}[/tex], show that [tex]det[A]=1/6(A_{ii}A_{jj}A_{kk}+2A_{ij}A_{jk}A_{ki}-3A_{ij}A_{ji}A_{kk})[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    I've been told that we're supposed to begin with
    [tex]det[A]=1/6\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{pqr}A_{ip}A_{jq}A_{kr}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I hate to say this, but I have no idea where to start. I would really appreciate if somebody could just give me the first step and push me in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Definitions are often a good place to start.

4. Sep 9, 2009 #3
    Never mind, I got it. You set [tex]A_{ij} = \delta_{ij}[/tex] and get the epsilons in terms of the deltas.

5. Sep 9, 2009 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:confused: Why can you do that?

6. Sep 9, 2009 #5
    Well, that's not exactly right. But you can work a little index magic and come up with
    [tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{pqr}=\left| \begin{matrix} \delta_{ip} & \delta_{iq} & \delta_{ir} \\ \delta_{jp} & \delta_{jq} & \delta_{jr} \\ \delta_{kp} & \delta_{kq} & \delta_{kr} \end{matrix} \right|[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook