1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determinant of Matrix Component

1. Jan 29, 2017 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show $$\frac{\partial \det(A)}{\partial A_{pq}} = \frac{1}{2}\epsilon_{pjk}\epsilon_{qmn}A_{jm}A_{kn}$$

2. Relevant equations
    ##\det(A)=\epsilon_{ijk}A_{1i}A_{2j}A_{3k}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    $$\frac{\partial \det(A)}{\partial A_{pq}}=\frac{\partial}{\partial A_{pq}}\epsilon_{ijk}A_{1i}A_{2j}A_{3k}\\
    =\epsilon_{ijk}\frac{\partial}{\partial A_{pq}}A_{1i}A_{2j}A_{3k}$$
    but I'm now stuck. I feel like one of the ##A## components on the RHS must go to 1 and the rest would be constant, leaving some sort of ##\epsilon A_{yy} A_{xx}## behind. I'm thinking along the lines of ##\partial A_{ij}/\partial A_{ik} = \delta_{jk}##. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd be tempted to move ##A_{pq}## to the top-left of the matrix.

4. Jan 29, 2017 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Are you suggesting take
    $$\frac{\partial \det(A)}{\partial A_{11}}=\frac{\partial}{\partial A_{11}}\epsilon_{ijk}A_{1i}A_{2j}A_{3k}\\
    =\epsilon_{ijk}A_{2j}A_{3k}\frac{\partial}{\partial A_{11}}A_{1i}\\
    =\epsilon_{1jk}A_{2j}A_{3k}$$

5. Jan 29, 2017 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One way to do it is just to do it for all 9 elements. Not very elegant.

Otherwise, you need to get a general expression for the terms that have ##A_{pq}## in them. It might be easier to rearrange the matrix, getting ##A_{pq}## to the top left corner.

6. Jan 29, 2017 #5

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Agreed!

What do you mean "general expression"? Also, you suggest getting ##A_{pq}## to the top left, doesn't this mean making ##A_{pq}=A_{11}##?

7. Jan 29, 2017 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It means using row and column operations. Alternatively, express the determinant in an equivalent form for expansion via the ##p##th row.

8. Jan 29, 2017 #7

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Since the determinant is a scalar, I'm unsure how to express it for the ##p##th row. Could you elaborate?

9. Jan 29, 2017 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can evaluate a determinant using any row as your starting row.

But, in fact, if you permute the rows to get the ##p##th row at the top, with row ##p+1## second and row ##p+2## third (where these are numbers modulo 3), I think it comes out easily enough. Then permute the columns to get the colums in order ##q, q+1, q+2##.

Then, if you do the same trick with the Levi-Civita, I think the equation should drop out for general ##p, q##.

10. Jan 29, 2017 #9

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

PS by the same trick, I mean that:

##\epsilon_{pjk} = 1## when ##j = p+1## and ##k = p+2##
    ##\epsilon_{pjk} = -1## when ##j = p+2## and ##k = p+1##

And is ##0## otherwise.

11. Jan 31, 2017 #10

joshmccraney

Gold Member

I agree.

I don't think I'm understanding what you're saying. Could you illustrate, perhaps with a different problem? I just don't know the technique you suggest.

I agree.

12. Jan 31, 2017 #11

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose we take the case ##p, q = 1, 1##:

##det(A) = A_{11}(A_{22}A_{33} - A_{23}A_{32}) + \dots##

Where the rest of the terms do not involve ##A_{11}##, hence you can calculate the required partial derivative.

You can also check fairly easily that:

##\frac{1}{2}\epsilon_{1jk}\epsilon_{1mn}A_{jm}A_{kn} = A_{22}A_{33} - A_{23}A_{32}##

Now, by either two row operations or no row operations and two column operations or no column operations, you permute ##A_{pq}## to the top left of your determinant. You need to check this for ##p, q = 1, 2, 3##. And, this gives

##det(A) = A_{pq}(A_{p+1, q+1}A_{p+2, q+2} - A_{p+1, q+2}A_{p+2, q+1}) + \dots##

Where we are using modulo 3 here. And that's just about it. All you need to do is manipulate the expression involving the Levi_Civita coefficients using a similar modulo 3 approach.

13. Feb 1, 2017 #12

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted