Prove that these terms are Lorentz invariant

In summary, the attempt at proving that the operators $\mathfrak{T}_L(x)$ and $\mathfrak{T}_R(x)$ are Lorentz invariant involves using the transformations $\Lambda_L$ and $\Lambda_R$ to show that $\mathfrak{T}_L'(x')=\mathfrak{T}_L(x)$, ultimately demonstrating that these operators are indeed Lorentz invariant.
Markus Kahn

Homework Statement

Prove that

$$\begin{align*}\mathfrak{T}_L(x) &= \frac{1}{2}\psi_L^\dagger (x)\sigma^\mu i\partial_\mu\psi_L(x) - \frac{1}{2}i\partial_\mu \psi_L^\dagger (x) \sigma^\mu\psi_L(x) \\
\mathfrak{T}_R(x) &= \frac{1}{2}\psi_R^\dagger (x)\bar{\sigma}^\mu i\partial_\mu\psi_R(x) - \frac{1}{2}i\partial_\mu \psi_R^\dagger (x) \bar{\sigma}^\mu\psi_R(x) \end{align*}$$
are Lorentz invariant.

The Attempt at a Solution

My biggest Problem is that I'm a bit unsure of what it means to be Lorentz invariant in this context. I think the first step is to distinguish between ##\Lambda_L## and ##\Lambda_R##. I don't know the name of these specific transformations, but their main point is:
$$\psi'_L(x')=\Lambda_L\psi_L(x)\hspace{1cm}\text{and}\hspace{1cm}\psi'_R(x')=\Lambda_R\psi_R(x)$$
I think we call ##\mathfrak{T}_L## Lorentz-invariant if ##\mathfrak{T}'_L(x')=\mathfrak{T}_L(x)##. Therefore my approach was
$$\begin{align*}\mathfrak{T}_L'(x') &= \frac{1}{2}(\psi_L^\dagger)' (x')\sigma^\mu i\partial_\mu\psi_L'(x') - \frac{1}{2}i\partial_\mu (\psi_L^\dagger) '(x') \sigma^\mu\psi_L'(x')\\
&= \frac{1}{2}(\psi_L' (x'))^\dagger\sigma^\mu i\partial_\mu\psi_L'(x') - \frac{1}{2}i\partial_\mu (\psi_L^\dagger) '(x') \sigma^\mu\psi_L'(x') \\
&= \frac{1}{2}(\Lambda_L\psi_L(x))^\dagger\sigma^\mu i\partial_\mu\Lambda_L\psi_L(x) - \frac{1}{2}i\partial_\mu (\Lambda_L\psi_L(x))^\dagger \sigma^\mu\Lambda_L\psi_L(x) \\
&= \frac{1}{2}\psi_L(x)^\dagger\Lambda_L^\dagger\sigma^\mu i\partial_\mu\Lambda_L\psi_L(x) - \frac{1}{2}i\partial_\mu \psi_L(x)^\dagger \Lambda_L^\dagger\sigma^\mu\Lambda_L\psi_L(x) \\
&\overset{(*)}{=} \frac{1}{2}\psi_L(x)^\dagger\underbrace{\Lambda_L^\dagger\sigma^\mu \Lambda_L}_{= \Lambda^\mu_{\;\nu}\sigma^\nu}i\partial_\mu\psi_L(x) - \frac{1}{2}i\partial_\mu \psi_L(x)^\dagger \underbrace{\Lambda_L^\dagger\sigma^\mu\Lambda_L}_{= \Lambda^\mu_{\;\nu}\sigma^\nu}\psi_L(x)\\
&= \frac{1}{2}\psi_L(x)^\dagger \Lambda^\mu_{\;\nu}\sigma^\nu i\partial_\mu\psi_L(x) - \frac{1}{2}i\partial_\mu \psi_L(x)^\dagger \Lambda^\mu_{\;\nu}\sigma^\nu\psi_L(x) \\
&=\Lambda^\mu_{\;\nu}\left(\frac{1}{2}\psi_L(x)^\dagger \sigma^\nu i\partial_\mu\psi_L(x) - \frac{1}{2}i\partial_\mu \psi_L(x)^\dagger \sigma^\nu\psi_L(x) \right),\end{align*}$$
but this seems to lead to nowhere... So was my approach wrong, or did I mess up somewhere in the calculation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not real familiar with this. But, you wrote
Markus Kahn said:
$$\mathfrak{T}_L'(x') = \frac{1}{2}(\psi_L^\dagger)' (x')\sigma^\mu i\partial_\mu\psi_L'(x') - \frac{1}{2}i\partial_\mu (\psi_L^\dagger) '(x') \sigma^\mu\psi_L'(x')$$
Shouldn't the derivatives be with respect to the primed coordinates? So you would have ##\partial '_\mu## instead of ##\partial_\mu##. Then later you will have ##\Lambda^\mu_{\;\nu}\sigma^\nu i\partial'_\mu## in your expressions. Is there anything you can do with ##\Lambda^\mu_{\;\nu}\partial'_\mu##?

Likes Markus Kahn
TSny said:
Shouldn't the derivatives be with respect to the primed coordinates?
Thank you! I completely missed that. With that I get
$$\begin{align*}
\mathfrak{T}_L'(x') &= \frac{1}{2}(\psi_L^\dagger)' (x')\sigma^\mu i\partial_\mu'\psi_L'(x') - \frac{1}{2}i\partial_\mu' (\psi_L^\dagger) '(x') \sigma^\mu\psi_L'(x')\\
&= \frac{1}{2}(\psi_L' (x'))^\dagger\sigma^\mu i\partial_\mu'\psi_L'(x') - \frac{1}{2}i\partial_\mu' (\psi_L^\dagger) '(x') \sigma^\mu\psi_L'(x') \\
&= \frac{1}{2}(\Lambda_L\psi_L(x))^\dagger\sigma^\mu i\partial_\mu'\Lambda_L\psi_L(x) - \frac{1}{2}i\partial_\mu' (\Lambda_L\psi_L(x))^\dagger \sigma^\mu\Lambda_L\psi_L(x) \\
&= \frac{1}{2}\psi_L^\dagger\Lambda_L^\dagger\sigma^\mu i\partial_\mu'\Lambda_L\psi_L - \frac{1}{2}i\partial_\mu' \psi_L^\dagger \Lambda_L^\dagger\sigma^\mu\Lambda_L\psi_L \\
&= \frac{1}{2}\psi_L^\dagger\underbrace{\Lambda_L^\dagger\sigma^\mu \Lambda_L}_{= {\Lambda^\mu}_\nu\sigma^\nu}i\partial_\mu'\psi_L - \frac{1}{2}i\partial_\mu' \psi_L^\dagger \underbrace{\Lambda_L^\dagger\sigma^\mu\Lambda_L}_{= {\Lambda^\mu}_\nu\sigma^\nu}\psi_L\\
&= \frac{1}{2}\psi_L^\dagger \Lambda^\mu{}_{\nu}\sigma^\nu i\partial_\mu'\psi_L - \frac{1}{2}i\partial_\mu' \psi_L^\dagger \Lambda^\mu{}_\nu\sigma^\nu\psi_L\\
&= \frac{1}{2}\psi_L^\dagger \Lambda^\mu{}_{\nu}\sigma^\nu i\Lambda_\mu{}^\rho\partial_\rho\psi_L - \frac{1}{2}i \Lambda_\mu{}^\rho\partial_\rho\psi_L^\dagger \Lambda^\mu{}_\nu\sigma^\nu\psi_L\\
&= \frac{1}{2}\psi_L^\dagger \delta^\rho{}_\nu\sigma^\nu i\partial_\rho\psi_L- \frac{1}{2}i\partial_\rho \psi_L^\dagger \delta^\rho{}_\nu \sigma^\nu\psi_L\\
&= \frac{1}{2}\psi_L^\dagger \sigma^\rho i\partial_\rho\psi_L - \frac{1}{2}i\partial_\rho \psi_L^\dagger \sigma^\rho\psi_L\\
&= \mathfrak{T}_L(x)
\end{align*}$$
So I get what I was expecting! I'm still not sure why this exactly implies Lorentz invariance (would still be glad if someone could explain that), but at least the math add's up!

Last edited:
Looks good to me. I believe that "Lorentz invariance" of ##\mathfrak{T}_L(x)## simply means ##\mathfrak{T}_L(x)## has exactly the same mathematical form in all Lorentz frames. This is what you have done.

Last edited:

1. What is Lorentz invariance?

Lorentz invariance is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics should remain the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity.

2. Why is it important to prove that terms are Lorentz invariant?

Proving that terms are Lorentz invariant is important because it ensures that the laws of physics are consistent and valid in all reference frames, which is essential for the development of accurate and reliable theories.

3. How is Lorentz invariance related to special relativity?

Lorentz invariance is a key component of special relativity, which is a theory that describes the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. Special relativity is based on the principle of Lorentz invariance.

4. What are some examples of Lorentz invariant quantities?

Some examples of Lorentz invariant quantities include the speed of light, the mass of particles, and the laws of conservation of energy and momentum. These quantities remain the same for all observers in different reference frames.

5. How can we prove that terms are Lorentz invariant?

To prove that terms are Lorentz invariant, we must show that they do not change under Lorentz transformations, which are mathematical equations that describe how physical quantities change between different reference frames. This can be done through mathematical calculations and experiments.