1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that this function differentiable endles times

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    prove that this function differentiable endles times on x=0 ?? http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6778/83126617mm0.th.gif [Broken]

i was told
    "once we can express the function as a power series around zero and it is differentiable at zero, we know it is infinitely differentiable"
    differentiable around zero part:
    [tex]
    f'(0)=\lim_{x->0}\frac{e^\frac{-1}{x^2}-0}{x-0} \\
    =\lim_{x->0}\frac x{2e^{1/x^2}}
    [/tex]
    i know that exponentials grow faster then polinomials but the power of the exp is 1/x^2
    so the denominator goes to infinity but faster then the numenator so the expression
    goes to 0.
    power series around zero part:
    the power series of e^x
    [tex]
    g(x)=e^x=1+x+\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{6}+O(x^3)\\
    [/tex]
    i put -1/x^2 instead of x
    [tex]
    g(x)=e^x=1+\frac{-1}{x^2}+\frac{x^{4}}{2}+\frac{-x^6}{6}+O(-x^6)\\
    [/tex]

what now??

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The first derivative of [tex]e^{-1/x^2}[/itex] is, of course, [itex]e^{-1/x^2}(2x^{-3})[/itex]. The second derivative, using the product rule is [itex]e^{-1/x^2}(4x^{-6})+ e^{-1/x^2}(-6x^{-4})[/itex].

Can you use "proof by induction" to show that every derivative is [itex]e^{-1/x^2}[/itex] times terms with negative powers of x? It doesn't really matter what those powers are because, as x goes to 0, the exponential will "dominate" and the derivative will go to 0 as x goes to 0 so we can take every derivative to be 0 at x= 0.

That means, by the way, that we could form its Taylor series at x= 0 (its MacLaurin series) as [itex]0+ 0x+ 0x^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot= 0[/itex]. But obviously f(x) is NOT identically 0. This is an example of a function that is infinitely differentiable so has Taylor series at 0 but is NOT equal to that series except at 0.

4. Feb 9, 2009 #3
    my power series is fine
    i took the power series for e^t and substitutes t=-1/x^2

so i got a power series and differentiation of the first around 0

is it a solution

how to do it by induction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook